How much is Swift pay?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by AteamDRIVER80, Apr 12, 2024.

1. AteamDRIVER80

AteamDRIVER80 Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2024
    Working on making the switch from Western Express to Swift. I have about 2 months of experience. Western Express pay is 40 cents per mile. Swift says 55 cents per mile but how much can I trust what the recruiters say? For Western Express, my truck is in the shop more than it’s on the road. I probably average 400 dollars a week. Can’t live off of this and I appreciate any feedback and direction from all of you guys here.

Bud A., Chinatown and tscottme Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Miles X CPM = Pay
    Every recruiter says their trucks get 2500 miles per week. Make Swift put you in contact with current working drivers in your area doing the work they are hiring you to do. Then ask those drivers to describe the pay, schedule, home time, and other things you want to know about. Ask how many miles did you drive last week and the week before that? Not "do you get enough miles?" Ask what was your paycheck last week, not "do you make good money?"

Recruiters are car salesman, if they have a hint what you want to hear they will say that thing 20 times in 3 sentences. AT most they MIGHT know the average pay, the average miles, and average home time. Understand average pay DOES NOT mean you will make average pay. It means when you add up pay for all the hard chargers and slackers and divide by total drivers and that number is X. NOTHING the recruiter tells you is a guarantee. At most it is a guess, maybe a good one or a bad one. You'll get what they have not what the recruiter "promised" you. Talk to the current working drivers at the company doing the work you are getting hired for.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I don't know what Swift is starting drivers at right now, but i do know loads are scarce.

This week started slow, got worse when my truck got totaled out, and is ending very badly with no loads in the Chicago area.
    Yesterday I was told we are 100 loads short, so a lot of drivers are sitting for days.
    But I'll make at least that $400 or more in layover pay if it comes to that.

It might have something to do with that Baltimore port that is currently shut down.

Bud A., tscottme, lual and 2 others Thank this.
  5. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Freight has been slowing down for awhile ... too many trucks on the road. Baltimore is having limited impact, if any at all.

AteamDRIVER80 Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How much experience do you have? 2 months?
    Now is a good time to hire on with a reefer outfit.

Vic Firth and AteamDRIVER80 Thank this.
  7. snicrep

snicrep Medium Load Member

May 13, 2009
    mcallen, tx
    That should be miles×cpm=pay

tscottme and lual Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's a good one, but you need 3 mos. experience?
    Guaranteed Pay Dedicated Class-A CDL Company Driver - KLLM Transport Services
    • Hiring in all of New Jersey
    • 67-75 Solo CPM Based on Experience & $1,500/Week Guaranteed Minimum Pay if Available 6 Days/Week
    • Tanker & Hazmat Endorsements Required
    • Lanes: Majority of lanes stay east of I-35 but do run CO, CA, and AZ on occasion
    • Running late model tractors
    • Inverter, Fridge, and TV Mount in Every Tractor
    • Pets & Riders Welcome

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  9. Spardo

Spardo Light Load Member

Only slight thread drift from the OP but we hear alot about Swift on this side of the Atlantic and how bad they and, allegedly, their drivers are. I saw a video on YT the other day made up entirely of bad moves and lots of damage.

My questions are, is this true, are they as bad as all that and, if so, how do they exist in a competetive world and how do they get insurance? If not, how does that bloke, and others, who put up such condemnations, not get sued all the way to the gaolhouse? (Sorry, English English, jailhouse :D)

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  10. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    As one of the largest common carriers here they are the low hanging fruit for the youtube morons to pick from.

Incompetent drivers are employed by all companies.

I believe they are self insured and as such they hire and train more than most.

tscottme, Kyle G. and Opus Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.