How much is the CB used anymore?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by GreenMonster9669, Oct 3, 2014.

1. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    All the radios I currently own I bought used and had my technician buddy go through them. Saved a ton of money and have had good service out of all of them. I rarely talk on one any more, but I want it to work well if I do talk on it. I know how valuable, entertaining and fun they can be, and I prefer not to go trucking without one.....and my XM! :D

rabbiporkchop and ZephyrSoCal Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CoronadoDriver

CoronadoDriver Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    I usually keep mines off.The only tine I use it is to see if theirs a truck stop , cops or weather other than that I might use when I dont have a load

4. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    I threw my radio out the window cause nobody answered my radio check.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  5. kor b

kor b Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2008

Could've meant you weren't getting out. Break break

tucker and ZephyrSoCal Thank this.
  6. CMFofNC

CMFofNC Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Roxboro, NC.
    I am 62 and cant remember when I didn't have a CB, well I guess there's a lot I don't remember. But I have the Anniversary model Cobra with twin oil cans and it does a good job.

CMFofNC

7. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    lol......still got your sense of humor though......we are in the same boat!!

8. norb5150

norb5150 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2011
    erie, pa
    My neck of the woods theres traffic on the CB just not so much on 19. When I'm tooling down the road I'll monitor 19 and if someones "squawkin" I'll start "chirpin". One of the big issues now a days, you get people wanting to kick each others ### over who has what load who has what truck etc. just to name a few reasons there isn't much traffic on the 19 airwaves. Thats just my opinion I could be totally wrong

9. CMFofNC

CMFofNC Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Roxboro, NC.
    When I first seen the SCAN button on my CB I thought that would be a waste of space, it really surprised me how often you can turn the gain up and the squelch down, put it in scan mode and never here a single carrier. Lots of memories of listening to great conversations mile after mile, it really helped to pass the time and miles. The silence is defining.

10. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    My CB has saved my tail many times; in time and money. Just today, I was going south on I-35 in TX and there was a school bus blocking the right lane. I hear someone say; "get off at 215, go left across the bridge and take the service road south. I did, and I was the only one that heard it, I guess, so I had an open road. Now, if I wouldn't have had a radio, I would have sat in that backup for an hour or more. To me, that makes it worth it. Sure, there is a bunch of junk on the radio but, I don't turn my RF Gain up until I hear something and if it isn't of interest, I turn the gain back down. I have even turned the volume down but, only for a couple of miles.. Get a CB, doesn't have to be expensive either, just make sure someone sets it up right. You won't regret having it, trust me on that...

11. CMFofNC

CMFofNC Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Roxboro, NC.
    I started having heart problems when I was 48, having that CB gives me a little sense of security that I wouldn't have otherwise. I have been saved many times on getting detoured around traffic jams like you said.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.