How much pay hauling hay?

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by DEEMO, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEEMO

DEEMO Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have received a job offer to begin hauling hay (Nevada, Oregon, California, Idaho & Kansas) and was told I would receive 25% of the gross. My question is gross what: per mile? or load? I was told hay hauling pay is comparable to Hazmat pay...any truth to that? I've never hauled hay and I am not familiar with the pay standards. I was also told I would average 3 loads a week (no weekends unless I wanted it) and would make at least $1000 per week...does that sound correct?

:biggrin_25519:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri
    I haven't personally hauled hay this way. I've bucked a lot of bales in the day for .02 - .10 per bale. But I used to know a few owner/operators who did years ago. I think that is high, but I have no facts to prove it. You realize if you haul on a percentage you are an independent contractor for tax purposes, right? You will receive a form 1099 instead of a form W-4.

You will have to make quarterly payments to cover Social Security/Medicare at .133 or 13.3% of your earnings. In addition, you will have to pay in to cover your federal and state taxes. Generally in this type of situation there will be no insurance or workmen's comp.

If you did make $1000 per week, you would need to pay about $1700 per quarter for SS/Med. That would be at the end of Mar, Jun, Sep and Dec. You need to seek professional tax advice to be sure you get it right.

I'm not saying it's a bad deal or don't do it. It's just that many who haven't worked like this end up in a real tax mess before they know what is going on.

DEEMO and Svoray Thank this.
  4. DEEMO

DEEMO Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks for the informaton BigJohn54!:biggrin_25519: I was told that this company charges $40 per ton and each load is approximately 32 tons. For example: 25 ton load x $40 = $1000. My share is 25% or $250 per load. I know that there is more to it than that but, I was given a guarantee (that will be in writing when I start) that I will make a minimum of $950 per week driving loads just one way. If I pick up freight on the return trip (which I was told happens 95%) I will also get paid for those as well (obviously). I will now inquire about the workmen's comp, independent contractor issue, and my tax situation. I really do appreciate your insight.

Thanks again,

DEEMO

jvar4001 and BigJohn54 Thank this.
  5. jvar4001

jvar4001 Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2011
    hey you guys thank you im learning everyday little by little , but i dont know how you guys get your calculations, i would like to learn that. do ihave to get an accounting class ,thanks

6. flatbedder

flatbedder Medium Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Illinois
    Why would percentage pay make him a 1099? I get paid 25% as a company driver on w2

SheepDog Thanks this.
  7. CA_Uber_Alles

CA_Uber_Alles Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2011
    San Diego,CA
    that poster must have misunderstood something, because there are a lot of company driving jobs not on a 1099 and getting paid %'s.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  8. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    In what type of truck are you loading and hauling 64,000 lbs?

I handled a few broker loads of hay out of NM to get some flatbed guys into better areas... and didn't pay for crap. MAYBE a buck a mile.

9. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri

I may well be wrong about the 1099. If that is the case, I apologize. I don't want to be giving misinformation and I certainly am not an expert on anything.

Every percentage type situation I am aware of, is that of an independent contractor. A couple of drivers just educated me - thanks. It still pays to ask 1099 or W-2, when offered a percentage. In addition, I would always ask about the other items I mentioned on any job.

One more thing I would ask about. Am I receiving a percentage based on the total load price or the transportation cost of the load?

As an old man, I have learned to question everything. I don't take disappointment well, so this approach serves me well.

DEEMO and SheepDog Thank this.
  10. grizzly

grizzly Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Layton, Ut
    I quit hauling hay about 5 years ago because there was no money in it. Most of it pays by the ton. I have been offered hay loads recently but there was still no money in it.

11. Cowmobile

Cowmobile Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    The hammer lane....
    Every now and then I'll haul a load of hay outta new Mexico back to Florida as a backhaul, stacked square bales of alfalfa, bullrack packed full.. I dunno if it's different elsewhere, but it is paid by the ton and really not worth it, I'll only do it if I have to..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.