How often do y'all change out fluids other than engine oil?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by ITHotshot, Jul 26, 2019.

1. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    500-600k m coolant. I use ELC only
    250k m transmission
    350-400k m rear axles
    every 2 years power steering
    every 4 years clutch hydro linkage oil

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You would be loving on that old thing if you finally got to replacing what no one else could be bothered to do.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I don't care what the coolant says about how many years and miles it can last. I dump it every two years.

5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I assume you're speaking about a pickup since this is in the hotshot fourm..

Dodge, I dont remember the coolant but mine was still clean at 5yrs, 235k? when I sold it..

Mine was the first half year (late 2012 build) with the switch from New Process (NP) to Borg Warner transfer case. Special BW fluid recommended for 60k drain. Did mine at 50k intervals.

G56 trans was also a 60k interval. Did at 50k also with Mobil Delvac STF 50. Factory fill was atf+4. Dumped at 700 miles. Trans was way smoother, & quiet with the Mobil.

Differential schedule is weird for dodge. It says if not towing frequently, never ever have to change. Towing or police use change at 15k miles. Did the rear at 25k intervals & always looked good. Front diff did 1st at 25k looked good. Did next at 100k & looked good. Check & change front as needed IMO. It's cheap, I think 7qts would do both..

6. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Do they need to be changed ?!

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    In my light duty truck, I change all fliuds at a minimum of once per year regardless of mileage, engine oil I use a fram canister, change it every 7500 miles, transmission every 35,000, dif's and transfer every 75,000. Coolant every 35,000 or yearly.

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I used to do A/F every year. Now every 3-5 yrs. Preferably 3. Peak final charge. As long as it looks good. Right now, I’m at 5 yrs. No coolant filter. Time to change it along with hoses, and Radiator, water pump, ( has 700k) while I’m at it, maybe next spring. Same with rears. Changed fluid at 1.2 million. Now it’s been 1.1 million, it’s due to change again. Buying it today. Trans also, currently has 1 million miles on fluid. Though I’ve ran double the recommended intervals, it still looks clean. No problem. Others will scream bloody murder. But proof is in the fact that rear ends are original, along with power divider, and have 2.3 million miles. Still good. Never abused.Power steering only twice, when I changed the box, about 5 yrs ago. Filter gets changed about every 3 yrs. or if steering gets stiff, makes whining noise. Fluid changes are cheap insurance. Trans and gear oil, if it’s not burnt looking, is good. None of the fluids go bad, they only get dirty, burnt, or lose their additives, detergent or rubber conditioning properties.

9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Coolant you shouldn't need to bother with on later model engines if it is factory filled with ELC red coolant. That stuff is good for 500k at least. The old green stuff you have to test with the strips periodically and add coolant additive as needed. Some older engines can be updated to the newer maintenance free stuff and is a good idea.

I would say annually at least on the smaller trucks that get run hard for the trans and diffs. The big truck rear ends and transmissions hold a ton more oil and can go a lot longer. hydraulic brake calipers should be bled annually. That one gets overlooked too often.

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ll say, if I had an automatic in a Hot shot. I’d change the fluid, filters and adjust bands if recommended. Whatever severe duty recommended schedule says, I’d follow it.

11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Changing fluids is cheap insurance, besides, while your in there changing fluids it gives you the opportunity to see and check things you normally dont get that close too, For instance, your hoses Radiator, heaters, bypass hose should be changed yearly or 100K which ever comes first, why would you put old anti freeze/coolant back into your engine. Oh yea while your in there change your thermostat (s) too. I change the hoses,belts, fluids on all my vehicles yearly in March, on all my vehicles.
    If you don't do this then when you sitting on the side of I-15 NB on the outside temp is at 118 degrees on Baker grade with a split hose you only have yourself to blame, I see it all the time.
    Totally preventable.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.