How often do you get home late?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by asphaltreptile311, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I get home within 1 day of my requested home time about 90% of the time.
    One day, on, before or after the date, and that is acceptable to me as being on time.
    The planners have a lot to consider, and I understand that. I think it is amazing that I get home on time so often.

Every once in a while it seems to be a problem, but not very often.
    Sometimes it is the area I am in, like southern CA. They claim their are no loads to get me there, until I simply refuse any loads that will get me there - or at least closer. They seem to always come up with something, amazingly.

The truck needs to keep running to make money. And one of the few valid reasons for simply refusing a pplan is a home time request.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    What’s home? .... Time?
    Seriously.... I take home time so little. I put in the request. I get it. Period.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,,,oh, good heavens,,what was I laughing at again? Oh yeah, ha, ha, ha, coming in late, they just get better and better, I'm sorry, you've got to be kidding. The only thing predictable in trucking is it's unpredictability. Any idea how many things I missed because I couldn't make it ? Sure helped cash my marriage.

buddyd157 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Just wait till they get used to it...

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If you say, "I have an appointment at 0900 Friday", some dispatchers hear "Friday." Friday means 2359 and before. So instead, say "Thursday" if you have an important event on Friday.

"Home Weekends" can mean 'get home Saturday afternoon and leave out Sunday.' That's a 10 hour break. Home every day can mean 8 hours off duty/day (depending on your gig. When I drove beer truck, I had to leave home at 0400 but didn't get back home until 2300. What's the big deal about being home for 5 hours?)

gentleroger and skellr Thank this.
  7. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I'm Home 8 to 14 hours after I leave the house

Paddlewagon Thanks this.
  8. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Since I started at Ozark up until a while back, I was never home late, always on the day requested. Then they failed to get me home 3 out of 5 times on time. After calling and chewing the dispatcher 5 new anuses in one phone call, I've been home VERY early on my day off. One time even having the option of getting home the evening prior.

I don't consider getting me home a day late "on time" unless they consider me delivering a load a day late "on time." I told them sometimes I have hours to go get a load and get it delivered and I have to be on time. I always give them 2 weeks notice when I want to be home. I have no tolerance. Get me home on the day I request or I'll go find a company who will. I don't ever change my home date, I don't ever cause problems, nothing. When I say I want to be home I want to be home.

Period.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  9. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    When I was OTR for a mega carrier that rhymes with Schwift, I never, not once, got home on time. The earliest I got home with them was 6 days late. Constant reminders on the Qualcomm meant nothing, nor did phone reminders.

Now I'm home on time every time, but I no longer work for that "Schwift" outfit.

arrogant steve Thanks this.
  10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    And like I said, and working for Swift, I am usually home on time.
    Maybe it was how you did things?

And, like I said... One of the valid reasons to turn down a load is a home time request.
    If you stand your ground, they will get you there.
    If you roll over, they will keep you out.

No need to rhyme, everyone knows who you mean. But it does show something about you when you won't simply say what you mean.

11. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    Nah, it wasn't how I did things. I had a crappy DM and a crappy terminal manager. Swift works for some and falls short for others. That should be expected with any company as large as Swift. No company is 100% good or 100% bad. I don't fault Swift, I fault my brand new DM who told me that the only way things would get better would be if I leased a truck and started training students.

But hey, thanks for assuming that I'm weak, spineless and never did anything right while I was there...

Moosetek13 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.