How often do you move a $200-$300 load?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 6wheeler, Jan 3, 2018.

1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Yea there seems to be a lot of that crap going around. Mondays are the worse

Lepton1 and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Not for even 4x the money.

6wheeler and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Last year my brother was dispatched on a load paying $250 TTT for the first two hours, then $55 an hour after that. It was for a good customer. All he was told was bobtail to their yard and do a "power only".

He bobtailed five miles to the customer and checked in. They had him hook to a trailer and back it into a bay in the shop. It was a pretty technical back, with several turns backing around racks of drilling motors and collars. It took 15 minutes to get it into the bay and drop it.

The question he had is, how do you calculate $/mile for loaded miles if you have -0.2 miles loaded?

spyder7723 and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    It is also a good area to eat good. I always stop at that ma na pa truck stop in Manchester TN exit 114 on I 24, first exit past the WB scale to eat their chicken on a stick. That's always my feature of a day when I'm running I-24.:D

rollin coal Thanks this.
  6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I never eat there but you should try the Chinese joint across the street in front of wal mart sometime when you get tired of the usual. It's not a nasty buffet. It's good food always cooked fresh, hot and they keep the place clean.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    One of my favorite regular loads is very similar to that. Pays a tad over 700 ttt. aircraft engine so requires a tarp. Goes about a quarter of a mile from one building to another inside the customer plant. If it's not windy i can get away with only putting a couple bunjees on each side. It actually takes more time to fold my tarp back up than everything else combined. The only real negative is its a freaking hundred miles away from the house. A lot of guys say im nuts tod/h 100 miles each way for 700 bucks but i love them. 200 empty miles is only 50 bucks in fuel, and any day i can make 650 after fuel and be back home by 10 am is a good day in my mind. In theory i could load something else after but south Florida isn't known for a lot of freight so it never actually works out that way.

Lepton1, nax and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  8. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I saw this load yesterday, it got me wondering what kind of hell I would have to deal with...

Gut feeling told me to not even think about it.

That area got 7-8" snow, and they don't have snow removal equipment in the south... so...

Screenshot_2018-01-04-15-33-51.png

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I see a brokerage called Beri posting 280 mile loads for $350 all the time. I'm fairly certain it's munch. I can't figure who's running from Morris to Des Moines for $350.

10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

They get a lot of dirt yards, salt yards, and mulch yards: ie OldCastle. Places that any body that calls can get into direct, and they are always dirt cheap to start with.
    Least, out my way anyway.

ChicagoJohn and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I'm learning that power only loads on load boards are cheap for a reason. Often you will see that you have AMPLE time to deliver the empty trailer. The idea is you are allowed to use that trailer to haul more loads up until it is required to be delivered, clean and free of any scratches or other mayhem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.