How Often to Drain/Flush Coolant?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PE_T, Dec 9, 2018.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Is a flush really needed in today’s trucks? My truck has a coolant filter that I replace at 100k by the manual. I have a 2014 Freightliner Cascadia.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. benjamin260_6

benjamin260_6 Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    You can send in a sample just like with oil analysis. Change it when they tell you to

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If you use the red extended life coolant. That stuff is good for like 400,000 miles. Just don't mix with regular coolant. I see some guys just adding water. That a little crazy. If you want the engine to last a long time

Nothereoften and PE_T Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Antifreeze never goes bad. The additives do dissipate over time. Using a filter w/ dca time release is supposed to replenish system while keeping it clean. I would still check dca levels though as the filter only releases additives as needed due to a thin metal corroding in filter before releasing additivesI As far as flushing goes it’s always a good idea. I think doing new hoses at least every 5 yrs at most and flushing and refilling with new antifreeze is worth it . The more you flush the longer radiator lasts.

Nothereoften and PE_T Thank this.
  6. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    The steel coolant tubes are bad to rust thru if your truck still has the factory ones on it?

Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  7. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I am not sure what you are refering to. My truck has a plastic coolant reservoir.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    Yes...replace steel tubes with stainless at first sign of rust

PE_T and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    He means the big steel tubes that connect with upper and lower hoses they rust out and can be replaced if so by SS tubes.

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.