How old is too old to think about becoming a Company Driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gungpae the OG, May 28, 2011.

1. LT60

LT60 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    I am 60, good MVR, still have my CDL, drove for approx. 6yrs. been out of the system for 8yrs. Snyder wants you to lift weights, that is the only thing stopping me from talking with them, I am no weight lifter......but I can drive the heck out of any thing with wheels and an engine, maybe a seat and steering wheel would help too. :) Just a thought......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    How old is too old? Two weeks after you're dead. Driving after death is kinda frowned on by the dot. Too hard to figure out what line in the logbook they can charge you on.

BUT, if you croak while waiting to load/unload the layover pay can come in handy.

7122894003481 Thanks this.
  4. 7122894003481

7122894003481 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Depends on what kind of 68 you are. Ive seen guys much younger than 68 with one foot in the grave, and Ive seen guys older than 68 still active and healthy and havent lost all their marbles yet.

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    As long as you are in good health and can pass the DOT physical, I see no reason why you cannot find a job driving. There have been many in your age group that have gotten into this for the first time and done well. I expect that the reason for the lifting is that some carriers will require drivers to assist in unloading their trucks from time to time. With some companies it is an option and left up to the driver. If the lifting is a problem then there are many carriers who can get you back into the game. Just get on the phone and start making calls. I am sure you will find a good fit somewhere. And I have met drivers who are over 80 and still going strong.

6. alan g

alan g Bobtail Member

May 24, 2011
    Phoenix. AZ
    Snyder wants you to lift weights ?, .............................do not worry about the picking up weights , they are only there to represent tasks that you would do in the job ,lifting your gear into the truck stuff like that ,other exercises represent getting in and out of the truck, in and out of the trailer ,crouching under the trailer as you would on a pre trip, have a look at their video it shows you what they want you to do , it is a piece of cake, i did it and i am 65 and 160 lbs ,they just want to know that you are reasonably healthy , they monitor blood pressure and pulse rate , just lay off the coffee a week before you go for any screening medical and to Schneider as coffee increases your blood pressure , didn't stay with them but that was for different reasons , you will have no problems , go for it and good luck , the orientation is very demanding though and starts on a Saturday morning ,just be prepared for some homework on your laptop as there are modules for you to complete and they know what you have done as you sign in as a trainee.
    Anything else you are unsure of post back with your questions and i will try to answer as best i can

7. U4EA

U4EA Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I'd say anyone older than 23 is to old.

8. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    We have a driver at our company that just turned 83. Jimmy has been driving for 62 years. All he's done for the 37 years he's worked here is run from PA to CA and back. I just had coffee with him this past weekend in Effingham. Believe me, that man can still truck.

9. LT60

LT60 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Thank you for the encouraging words. It really helps. :)

10. LT60

LT60 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Thank God for the older drivers, they can really help the newbies and still come back for more. :)

11. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    It does feel good to help out a new driver, especially when they ask for it. If a few more drivers with time under their belt helped out I'm sure we could fill the gap for what is wrong with our profession.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.