How people get past physicals..?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Brandson, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Amazing. I guess I will tell my GP that the doctor certificate is no good.

Ever hear of a General Practioner?

double yellow and HauntedSchizo19 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chattduck

Chattduck Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2013
    North Ga
    Last fall, I went to a CVS minute clinic for a DOT physical. The Doc was unfamiliar with the forms and instructions, so we we through them step by step to make sure everything was done correctly. There was no duck walking or anything like that. She asked if I had ever had sleep issues, sleep apnea, or snored. I said no, which was true, and that was it. $114 later, she handed me a signed med card and I was off to the DMV.

4. DLC

DLC Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Then again, I just took my first DOT physical and it was pretty intense. I guess it all depends on the integrity of the DR giving it to you.

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    That needs to be changed.True you don't have much work in reefer and dry van.But have you seen how hard it is for some of these drivers to get in and out of the trk?Not an easy task.

Brandson Thanks this.
  6. jarhead0311

jarhead0311 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Buckhannon,WV
    I def think it is pointless that most companies require you to take a new physical at their place even if you have a good one, but in a way I guess it does prove your physical is legit and not fake. The BMI chart def needs redone but I don't see that happening. I think eventually the function capacity test and BMI will be mandatory and companies are just getting ahead on it. The 400 pound big ppl are gonna be out of a job eventually until they lose weight. I have seen carriers send big guys home until they lose weight. Of course some companies are making money off of CPAP machines though and I think that is why they do the BMI test thing. Im 6 ft 2 280 and considered obese by that dam chart nd hate it being I go to the gym regularly and run a 17-18 minute 3 mile run. It is what it is, stupid gov trying regulate our industry and micromanage too much. All beaurocracy crap, they listen to whiny ppl and cater to them for the votes.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  7. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    Seems to me that a person being sent home because of weight issues, and being told that they can't get hired until they lose weight, would be finding a lawyer for a law suit. I am sure the company isn't dumb enough to actually tell a driver that though. In my opinion and from what I have seen, America is just backwards in so may ways. A lot of people are overweight, like myself, because we just don't watch our weight close enough. Some have an addiction to food and some have a medical problem. Where I want to go is the way business's run and how they have to take a responsibility in this issue as well. Every truck driver has heard, "you can buy two for x amount or 1 for x amount". The better deal is to buy more food, because you will get more for you buck. I don't look at it that way though. If one slice of pizza is $3.75 and two slices are $5.00, I still will buy one slice, half the calories and I still save $1.25. I don't buy pizza very often but, that is an example that most can relate to. Same deal applies to Subway and most fast food places, infact all fast food. I was raised to never waist food so, I haven't all these years. My Dr. told me something last year that changed my thinking, "only eat what you need and through the rest away". He said not to worry about throwing food away, we always get too much anyway. Just a thought.

8. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    We had a lead company driver of 7 years change the date on his medical card because he didnt want to pay for it Again. Yes,we had to pay out of pocket any way he got away with it for about 4 months. Someone in the office figured it out somehow.They called him in the office and fired him on the spot. Just saying faking or changing dates is a terrible idea especially now with this new self certification of med cards at your dmv which you must do by Jan 30 2014 or your CDL is invalid until you do.Dot checked and or estimated that approx 100,000 cdl drivers didnt have a current med card.So now they are tracking them along with your Cdl to keep people from beating the system.Yes one more rule from the good ole government.So if you value your job no faking . Just saying.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    There's a lot of heavy drivers,probably more then there are thin drivers.But I bet it doesn't take you 5 or more minutes to get in and out of your trk does it?Theres such a thing as being too heavy for this profession.I myself don't have a weight problem.I don't eat trk stop crap much,never have.I agree with what your doctor said.My boyfriend is getting fat and I tell him that all the time,lol.Now that hes making good money he's eating a lot more.He found a new love,FOOD!!!!!!!! lol

SheepDog Thanks this.
  10. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    Yep, I now have to keep track, very thoroughly, of my Med Card. I am a very forgetful person so, my IPhone will be my reminder...lol

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    My state sends a renewal notice out 2 months in advance.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.