How people get past physicals..?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Brandson, Jan 8, 2014.

1. I wouldn't worry to much about u silverdrifter. The dumb ### goobermint types, who are out for more regulation and more money.

Sleep apnea tests are not cheap.

You find 100 guys who can have under a 17" neck and do this job of skate boarding. And I'll call it a jb hunt, schnieder, usexpress, Knight, and any other 15 week trained driver who thinks he is living high on the hog at .30/mile. I call. Bull. S. H. I. T

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. silverdrifter

silverdrifter Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    athens georgia
    yea I know there not cheap that is why im worried about them I sleep fine im not tired during the daytime or anything like that I know my bmi it is 34 percent and my body fat is 23 percent

peterbilt_2005 and SheepDog Thank this.
  4. smadronia

smadronia Heavy Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Oregon
    Meet up with enough truck drivers, and you'll learn the places where all you need is a pulse to get a 2 year medical card. Not all companies require company physicals to be hired, and I think if your physical is new enough, they can't require you to get a new one. So if you hire on at a company that doesn't require a physical there, and doesn't have a portion of the hiring involving physical ability (quite a few don't), then you can be 400 pounds and nearly unable to walk, and they'll hire you.

The company I work for has a simple series of tests they do: a crate from floor to waist, and waist to head level, from 10 pounds to either 50 or 75. Then you take the crate and walk 53 feet with it, 3 times, with weight from 10-50 pounds. Then, push and pull with 100 pounds of force, and be able to step up 24 or 28 inches and back down. They strap a heart monitor to you and check it, and that's all it takes. It's not a hard test, although it would be easier if they padded the handles of the wire milk crate they use.

I did that test almost 7 years ago. I haven't had to do it again, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone working for my company barely passed the test, and has stayed with the same company, but has gotten more out of shape. Heck, I've seen people with my company that I know have been here longer than I have, and I wonder how they passed the test back then. These are the same folks who won't walk from the driver's lounge to the main building (a few hundred feet) because it's too much work.

mje Thanks this.
  5. fatmcrat

fatmcrat Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2014
    I have a friend that drove for over 10 years. he weighed in about 400+. He lost his grip getting in his rig one day and fell and hit his head hard. They had problem getting him in for a MRI. His company pulled him because he was too big a liability to them from getting hurt. They now have him at home as a dispatcher till he gets his weight in better shape. Then they will let him back out.

6. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    That is really unfortunate, sorry to hear that

7. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    More and more industries, outside of the transportation industry, are requiring their employees to be able to pass physicals due to their insurance companies regulations. Both SADLY and UNFORTUNATELY, people are being "let go" or outright terminated from their jobs for NOT being able to pass the physicals.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

8. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Sooner or later, many of the out of shape truck drivers are going to be afflicted with high blood pressure, diabetes, or some other medical condition due to not keeping themselves in check. If the truck drivers do not start keeping themselves in check, they could end up losing their jobs. HOPEFULLY and LORD WILLING that this does NOT happen to them.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Even if you are a "door swinger" you still have to:

1. Get in and out of the truck.
    2. Raise and lower landing gear.
    3. Climb up into the trailer to sweep it or apply load locks or straps.

About a year ago my brother and I witnessed a driver that was 400+ on a frame that was about 5'8". We were parked, waiting for a dock, facing the building and watched as this driver parked as close as possible to the Shipping Office (about 60 feet away from his truck door to the steps to the office). We watched with fascination as he opened his truck door, then struggled to squeeze his gut out from between the steering wheel and the seat, grab the front grip firmly with both hands, get one foot down one step on the truck (which was very difficult for him because he couldn't bend his knees because of the fat, carefully turn around to face the truck, grab hold of the back rail with both hands and rock his body to clear his other leg which he couldn't bend, and proceed in this fashion to make it to the ground...

... each phase of getting down onto the ground required a rest break at each step with lots of heavy breathing and panting...

... we timed it at about 2 minutes to reach the ground.

Then he proceeded to walk the 60 feet to the 6 steps to get into the office. Walking without bending his knees meant he rocked in an exaggerated manner from side to side to shuffle along...

... three minutes to the steps...

... then another two minutes to make it up the six steps by grabbing the rails and rocking precariously from side to side...

... we looked at each other and shook our heads in amazement.

If there was ever an emergency where he would need to exit the truck quickly, he would never make it.

10. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    this is why I get my DOT done by my family Dr., he won't BS me and he won't hesitate to pull my card either. The practice I go to has 12 Dr's, only two do DOT's, so I have my regular primary care that I see, and then also the DOT guy, and they do talk to each other. Now that I'm diabetic, the DOT guy see's that on my physical charting on the computer, he also checks my height/weight, and each time they chastise me about it. I've seen them pull medical cards from guys who are too fat or can't pass standards. Now, while they don't use BMI, they do measure my neck each time, and he won't hesitate to send me for a sleep study if I get too large.

The upside to all this, I'm trying to loose weight, because he won't play games, but at the same time, because this is also my family Dr., he's more likely to cut me some slack if I prove I'm taking it seriously.

11. mickey melon

mickey melon Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Chicago,Il

You are INCORRECT my friend..........

My father-in-law still is employed at Inland Steel in East Chicago.. He suffered a stroke, Cant walk right.Has High Blood Pressure and Diabetes..And is 70 years old, UNION wont allow the company to terminate someone over health issues.

the way it should be for EVERYONE.....Why does a man have to lose his Lifestyle becausae he has health issues......The UNIONS wont buy that..

The Best case scenario is....If he cannot safely perform his duties...They move him to another job of lightr duty status OR Long term disability WITH full benefits

SheepDog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.