How selective is Landstar? And other Landstar questions...

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by PermanentTourist, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Gordob

Gordob Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2014
    So, how's it going for you at LS now? Have any regrets? Thinking of heading over there myself

2. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    It's going really good, actually. I've been lucky to not have had any serious truck problems, it's might have been a different story if I had a major breakdown. I enjoy the freedom and the money is pretty #### good too, on the other hand Landstar is very safety obsessed so they make you do inspections and go to classes and stuff like that. Do not make the mistake of going into your 120 day inspection while under a load - if they find something wrong the shop will hold your truck hostage until it's fixed. Luckily they were able to replace the brake quickly and I still made it on time, but it was stressful.

The load board is interesting. Took me a couple of weeks to really get going with it, and it's always a bit of a gamble between taking a safe and cheaper load or waiting until the last day to see if something really good shows up, but it's usually works out pretty profitable either way. Don't get tempted by really well paying loads going to Florida, you will get stuck there.

3. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Also, you got to have patience or sort of Detachment to human beings sometimes. Brokers can be annoying. I have not have to deal with anybody who was clearly a crook or a jerk, but I've had a couple of really sloppy ones that were very frustrating because they didn't give me the right information and then were hard to get ahold of. I just blacklisted them. And it also gets frustrating when you are you're calling on good loads and they are already taken, because sometimes the Brokers don't take them off the board right away after they are given away.

4. Gordob

Gordob Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Thanks for the replies, good tips!

• Draft saved Draft deleted