How to bring home a trailer from another state with temporary tags on my bobtail?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by smokiedabong, Feb 26, 2018.

1. smokiedabong

smokiedabong Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2016
    I am ready to buy my first truck. I don't have the authority yet just registered the LLC and will start the process in the next few days. I already found a truck in another state that I need to bring home, as far a I understand I will get temporary tags and insurance for it, place an "In Transit" paper in the window and bring it home. The problem is I also found a trailer which is in a different state. Can I go pick it up with my bobtail on temp tags and insurance? What problems can i encounter?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Just come home late at night when the scales are closed or go around them. Don't make it too comlicated

Caterpillar Cowboy and shogun Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Really, you will need to get it home with full insurance and plates. The problem is not you but those who buy a truck and trailer and haul a load with it.

The thing that I wonder about, didn't you have the truck checked out and do your due diligence to make sure you ain't buying junk.

5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Put not for hire on them. Have your sale receipt on hand. Do not go in the scales, do not be laiden. Hammer down.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.