How to bring truck home?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BASARAB, Jan 24, 2015.

1. 04SSHD

04SSHD Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Henderson, NV
    TRANSPORT BASE PLATES, they have companies that are issued a plate similar to a dealer plate which is used for transport only. The RV hotshotters, and new truck delivery guys have them. I didn't say any joe blow can take their apportioned plates off and stick them on another truck and be legal

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 04SSHD

04SSHD Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Henderson, NV
    I already did, people are too ignorant to listen.

I phoned DOT before making my trip, talked to my DOT inspector friend, and filed for proper authority before bobtailing my truck 2000 miles from the seller to my shop.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Reading comprehension. Work on it. He said "transport plates", same as the RV transportation companies or car dealer tags. They are intended to be swapped around from vehicle to vehicle in the pursuit of the business...be that selling, transporting, or whatever. Even going back to my post that got your panties in a bunch, I was talking about horse people with RV tags on their LQ trailers getting in trouble...which is why I put weighted tags on my horse trailer to avoid that situation. Doesn't have to be commercial tags, as long as the registered weight is sufficient. Believe me...we THOUGHT about saving $100/year and getting the RV tags...but it would limit what we could LEGALLY do with the trailer.

04SSHD Thanks this.
  5. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I answered your question. Has nothing to do with "real" authority which I have. All you need is a temp tag with proof of insurance. What don't you understand?

Cetane+ and Skate-Board Thank this.
  6. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    I gave up bro

Derailed and Skate-Board Thank this.
  7. BASARAB

BASARAB Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Warren, mi
    Just bought the truck in MO, 750 miles away. Seller handled me the title and bill of sale. Insurance agent emailed me the bobtail insurance and I was on my way home. Took a bit longer route, passed by two weigh stations, which were closed, and made it home without any hassle by authorities, but my heart was beating much faster when I was passing state troopers :)

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. PowerPullin

PowerPullin Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    PA
    So did you have a temp tag?

9. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    temp plate and insurance you should be fine. ooida offeres a temp insurance policy for a flat fee pretty sure they can take care of your temp permits as well. if not they can tell you what you need to do.

my first truck i bought one state away and i just winged it home. the second one i bought from much further away and i got the seller to drive it too me. got a temp plate for him and insurance and he drove it to me for basically what it would have cost me to go drive it myself without loosing a few days of my time.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  10. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    The comment about scale avoidance. I saw a guy with a brand new truck get $750 dollars worth of tickets after they pulled his truck into the inspection bay in Maryland.

11. BASARAB

BASARAB Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Warren, mi
    Nope, just drove with a bill of sale and title

PowerPullin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.