How To: Brittle Lever Locks

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 5UG, May 29, 2024.

1. 5UG

5UG Light Load Member

May 22, 2024
    Hello again-
    Anyone have a trick for unplugging the engine side lever locks without breakin' them?
    I can only loosen them a tad bit before the resistance really kicks in and I'm afraid if I muscle it too much, it's going to snap.
    I'm looking at products that might "condition" the plastic. . . Anything like that you guys might know about and/or recommend. Mr. Beasley's looks hopeful. Perhaps.

Anyone got any pointers?

Any advice beyond: "Just be careful, or you'll break it."

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Lever locks?

JB7 Thanks this.
  4. 5UG

5UG Light Load Member

May 22, 2024
    Hi there-
    I don't know what they're actually called. I'm referring to the plastic yellow rectangular shaped tab/locks you have to pull down to unseat the wiring harnesses on the engine side, below the fuse box.
    I'm trying to upload a pic, but keep getting an error message.

5. 5UG

5UG Light Load Member

May 22, 2024
  6. 5UG

5UG Light Load Member

May 22, 2024
    There! It uploaded!
    One small win for the good guys!!

Numb Thanks this.
  7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I think they slide down a little bit first before you pull them over.

gentleroger and 5UG Thank this.
  8. 5UG

5UG Light Load Member

May 22, 2024
    I'll take a closer look and see.
    They seem to pull forward/downward a little, then get stuck. It seems like it will snap if I force it all the way over. When I went to pick up a part for a different problem, the service dept. at the dealership was kind enough to tell me it takes two people to kind of hold everything together and apply even pressure. . .
    But, it's just, there's gotta be a trick! That can't be it, can it. . . Lol?
    I'm still feelin' pretty gunshy, even with a helper to "hold it all together."

In any case, I'll double check to see if there's a way to unlock it by pushing downward first. Maybe it'll let go.

Thanks for the reply!

9. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Before disconnecting……..liberally Spray the connector with dawn and water solution and blow off with compressed air. Respray again and then attempt removal. Don’t force them if it doesn’t go as the lever arm will break. From there you can assist the side slides of the connector with a small pick or pocket screwdriver while releasing the lever.

10. 5UG

5UG Light Load Member

May 22, 2024
    Thank you for taking the time! I knew cleaning it would be a good idea, but I was too nervous about getting too close with any kind of cleaning solution/water. I'm going to take your advice. I know it's golden.
    Wish me luck,
    All the best to you!

gentleroger and Goodysnap Thank this.
  11. 5UG

5UG Light Load Member

May 22, 2024
    So, what are they "properly" called?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.