How to check the gear train timing without taking the gear train cover? Detroit ser 60 14L DDEC V.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Verdel, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    I spoke with one mechanic with more than 20 years on Detroits and He mentioned that when you do inframe the head must be cut and sometime the block too. Then your head and the block are shorter. In this situation, you may have all the bull gears aligned and the cam still be out of time.....

This sounds correct to me, but how do you adjust the timing in this case?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slms

Slms Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2017

4. Slms

Slms Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2017
    I just had a in frame done new cam new injectors runs great going down the road but so so we’ll at idle and smokes and back fires how Can I check and see timing on mine without pulling the whole front end off?

5. Prpt430

Prpt430 Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2019
    I recently rebuilt my 14l DDEC 4. Full inframe on engine. New injectors 1&3 and new injector harness. No I have injectors 1,2,3 are dead. I check the ecm. Tryed a diferent ecm. What should I check now. Is it possible if one of the injectors shorts out it will turn off the other 2 that work on the same circuit?

6. Freightliner Classic

Freightliner Classic Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Rome GA
    Ok so I have a 2005 14 Liter Detroit 60 series Im trying to figer out how to set the time anyone know I Just had to put a head on it And the cam Had so scaring on the cam cover sleeves

7. Freightliner Classic

Freightliner Classic Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Rome GA
    Your most likely broke a wire

8. iuriikyryk

iuriikyryk Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2015
    I have the same problem have you figured out what was wrong (injectors, harness)really need some help with this i spent 12k on parts and truck sits in shop

9. Warne

Warne Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2018
    is it possible to move the cam gear around one tooth on a detroit series 60 without taking the timing case off

10. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    It is all good now. The problem was bad EGR VALVE. The truck runs like a jet now .......

SWM_TECH Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.