How to deal with a driver facing camera?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Dark_Majesty_06, Mar 6, 2015.

1. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

But if I run all day cabs then you are ok with the cameras (according to your post about living in the truck) . There are camera's everywhere these days, heck there are even "peeping toms" when you go grocery shopping.

I never had camera's in my trucks, nor would I. But I hire the kind of drivers that dont need babysitting.

I still support true freedom. We get to do what we want with our own equipment.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    That's really clever how you throw out red herrings and change the subject, then claim you don't even have cameras in your trucks (which makes a guy wonder what you're even talking about in the first place??), but then to claim your right to spy on employees as "true freedom" really takes the cake. I guess you're right, as long as the government requires you to disclose that you may be spying on employees at your discretion because you own the equipment, and they have the right to stay away from you. However, if they find that the equipment you own is a bedroom or shower and you've been monitoring it at your discretion, they will most like haul you off to a place where they can monitor you.

4. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Wake up ! Most offices have cameras pointed at the employees all day. Just go into any guard shack and they are watching 12 or more cameras....

truckon Thanks this.
  5. Ken Worth

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    We're talking about private space here....I don't have a problem with security cameras in public spaces,...actually think it's a good idea. I'm sure most lady drivers would be thrilled with the prospect of the owner of Sleazy Eddies Trucking thinking he can watch them all day because he owns the equipment.

6. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Thats a very uneducated reply. No company is streaming the cams. It doesn't work that way.

Also, you keep suggesting that there are cams in the sleepers? Please post a link to this.

7. Chattduck

Chattduck Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2013
    North Ga
    Are you sure about the streaming? I got the spill on how the memory only records so may seconds, then loops, until an event caused the loop to be saved.

But, a friend who works for the company I quit over cameras, got a call from safety one morning shortly after hitting the interstate, reminding him to wear his seat belt. A few other 'things' have popped up that would never be known if someone wasn't watching the camera.

My opinion is this. If they have the capability to watch, or upload whenever they wish, they will.

8. 59halfstep

59halfstep Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Brighton, MI
    Truckon
    Thats a very uneducated reply. No company is streaming the cams. It doesn't work that way.

Also, you keep suggesting that there are cams in the sleepers? Please post a link to this.

"I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I'm done."
    If your having fun its probably wrong. If you get caught deny everything, if there are pictures say "I have Photoshop too."

Truckon - your position seems to be ambiguous when one looks at your signature line. By reading your signature line one would think that you would not stand to be watched yourself, but then reading your postings one would think that it would be perfectly fine to monitor your drivers. A bit confusing, but then I just may be easily confused.

9. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Your right. I would never have a cam facing me.

The augment here is weather or not its right. I believe that its right for an owner to install what ever they want in their truck, if you (or I ) work for them is up to us. But its their right as an owner to have it.

I find it laughable that people try to say its in invasion of privacy. Its no different then a cam at a cash register. I get the fact that we drive because we dont want micro management (at least I dont) but then call it what it is and stop acting like the world is coming to an end.

What I see on here is a bunch of whining truck drivers. If you dont like it then quit. Plenty of jobs out there.

10. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    Its recording 24/7 wether you want to believe it or not. I quit. I dealt with it for a short period of time when forced into it, the first time I heard personal conversations i lost it. The camera recorded due to a lane change behind another truck, to their standards I was too close. But my saftey guy got a laugh out of my personal life, that's all that matters.

11. Ken Worth

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    One more guy with evidence that they lied about the operation of the camera, if they even disclosed that there was one, and that the scum who occupy some of these trucking and insurance offices have no respect for the driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.