How to deal with permanent address

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by livelikenooneelse, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Ranger_309

Ranger_309 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010

You might be able to swing this by using a storage company.

Many of them will allow you to use it as a permanent address and well as a mail drop, but you gonna half-ta part with some change, more then likely.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ranger_309

Ranger_309 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010
    The US, like most police states, sets up the laws so that almost everyone can be found or traced. Its getting harder and harder to make things hard to find nowadays. The more we become a fascist nation, the worse it will get.

7122894003481 Thanks this.
  4. I am medicineman

I am medicineman Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Kemper County, Mississippi
    there is a place in TN called "truckers home base" or something.

might look into it

Rocks Thanks this.
  5. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    i use a ups box for mail while i was in canada--the address looks like an apartment address--doesnt say box # but suite # instead--they will collect your mail and you can pick it up or have it forwarded to you as well
    thats the # i have on all id---works for me

6. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Well the system doesn't accomodate transient truck drivers. You can't live in the truck forever. I been there and done that when I relocated back to TN from IL and threw away money on IL taxes. But I had family here and used their address at first while I shopped for a house. With a paystub and insurance policy with the address you can get your vehicle titled. Then get a voters registration card and then you can get your CDL.

You ought to stop thinking about today and start thinking about tomorrow. Eventially you will retire and need a home, hopefully paid off. You ought to think about investing in real estate. Though you're not home, you can always recoop your money if you sell. So it's not wasted like on a rental or a motel room. You can still buy country land cheap in TN and throw you a camper on it or a mobile home for the time being. The sooner you start, the better off you will be. Prices don't get cheaper. Then you can get all the TN stuff like a normal person.

You might think living out of a truck is cheaper. But all you are doing is delaying your future and making it rougher later.

Boogers and texasbbqbest Thank this.
  7. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    There's a lot of truth to what you said... Buy some land for the future... Although I am not very confident in the future of America... land is still a good investment if one knows how to buy it. Although I like being a nomad, I may not be able to live in a truck "forever"... Nowadays it's becoming impossible to do so many things without a physical address. In any case, I am not in a position to buy land yet due to other responsibilities... but your idea is well appreciated :yes2557:

8. Tovya

Tovya Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Marion, Indiana
    Hey guys, I know this post is kinda old, but I was browsing around the site and as I'm currently someone doing this, I thought I'd add my .02.

Late 2010 my girlfriend (also my team driver) and I decided to give up our apt, sell the car to my brother (with his agreement that we could use it whenever we came 'home' if needed) and live out of the truck. We considered this a small sacrifice (3+ years we are going to do this to save money). As mentioned above, you need to think about your future sure... but that doesn't mean that living 100% out of the truck (less somewhere for mail which I'll get to in a moment, and less somewhere for storage) isn't thinking about your future... This is how we're doing it, and hopefully this will answer some questions for someone later on:

Apartment + small Utilities + car for us was around $1150 a month

1. Storage unit (preferred to not rely on family) = $75/mo
    2. UPS P.O. Box (This gives you a physical street addy, will elaborate later) = $8.6/mo or $26/3mo in our case
    3. Total cost per month = $83.6/mo
    4. Savings = $1066.40/mo

Those were the numbers we looked at when making up our minds when deciding if we wanted to pay $1150 a month for an apt we visited 3-4 days a month.

By using a UPS box, you are able to have a physical street address. We've been told by the DMV here in MS that they would not allow a "P.O. Box #" address, however when we walked in with our UPS box # (given as a Suite #) they changed our addresses right over, without blinking an eye at us. So, that will solve your address issue, without the hassle of having to have a friend or family in the area. Oh yeah, unlike the USPS for a P.O. Box, UPS did not require a physical address for us somewhere else. We walked in, told UPS we wanted a medium size box, and then paid for it... that easy.

Now, after a year of doing this, we are still getting crap for miles (the reason we had to look at saving money) even after switching companies, but we are actually seeing our bank account grow. Naturally, you need to create and live by a budget if saving money is your purpose.

Oh, someone mentioned investing in real-estate.... I've thought about buying some land, and then you could even make that land work for you so you could write it off every year (rent it out, put cattle on it, whatever you have to for a tax write-off) but decided it would just be too much of a headache that I didn't want right now. Our personal goal is to live out of the truck for 4-5 years, sock away as much money as we can, and then buy a house with land, and start our own small fleet. Whatever your reasoning is, hopefully you've found at least a few answers in what you were looking for.

Oh, one last note: In comparing using UPS vs USPS (United States Postal Service ie. Post Office) UPS will just set your overflow mail to the side and keep saving your mail for you if you only get in to check it once a month, where as the Post Office will start returning to sender. UPS will also put your large packages to the side as well. All-in-all I find that UPS is much better suited to the 'nomad' or 'transient' trucker than the USPS. Also, we managed to change over our voters registration card as well, no hassle!!

There's my .02 plus a few extra bucks :biggrin_25523:

Boogers Thanks this.
  9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    In recent years, retail mail centers like, UPS have to identify your box number as "PMB" (private mail box) instead of "suite". This came about after 911. So, govt agencies will be able to tell it's NOT a normal residence. And USPS will keep any overflow mail, but not forever. They will tell you to get a bigger box size if you always have overflow mail.

10. Tovya

Tovya Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Marion, Indiana

Allow Me, very true on the getting a bigger box size, eventually they will tell you. However, if you use common sense about the size in the first place, you should be alright. If you're getting a ton of mail, start with a large box. They will allow you to downgrade if you find that you're not filling it up in the time it takes you to get back home to check your mail. How long are you staying out on the road without ever getting through the town where your box is? If you're just never going through there, consider moving the location of your box so you can at least get your mail monthly... which is something you should be doing anyway.

As for the PMB vs Suite, that is a complete unknown to me. My address is listed as Suite 4-356... Suite 4 is UPS' address in the little strip mall, and my box is 356. DMV, Tax guy, Voter Registration... none of them have a problem with this or any raised eyebrows. I stand by saying that UPS' p.o. box is the very simple (and cheap) solution to the transient driver that does not wish to pay hard earned cash for a residence they only visit maybe 4 days a month, sometimes not even that much. :biggrin_25519:

11. Bill104

Bill104 <b>Pepsiholic</b>

Dec 27, 2011
    Sacramento,Ca
    I have had my lic at a po box etc for over ten years now, i used the yard i used to work at which is no longer, and have never had any problems, when i give my box num out i say it as apt num not even irs has said anything about it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.