How to deal with wife at home?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by NewNashGuy, Jan 18, 2012.

1. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I agree with this 150%- just being 'romantic,' sending an email or phone call is NOT going to replace that the OP's wife is NOT happy with him being OTR. You two should have talked about this situation way before this point, considering you are married 4 months and I have to presume that you have been preparing to drive for longer than this time period so your soon to be wife or new spouse KNEW you were going to be a truck driver. From everything on this board and what the OP knows or knew about OTR he should know that the ''one year and home local'' is NOT always a given -either no jobs, not enough experience compared to others or the pay is not there or hours are terrible. Also that being OTR means being gone weeks and weeks at a time and home for a few. It's a life style like no other and does not tend to help if BOTH parties are not behind the decision 100%.

The OP and his wife need to talk this out or as DragonTamerBrat said earlier there will be no spouse.

IMHO-NO matter what people suggest for the wife to do -get a job, get friends, go to school, come on here etc she is NOT happy being home alone and it does not sound like she is going to be happy until the OP is home.

Red Hot Mess and DragonTamerBrat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    whats that toy, that uses batteries?:laughing-guffaw:

4. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Leave B.O.B outta this. He's shy and sensitive.

Wargames and Mommas_money_maker Thank this.
  5. AXE

AXE Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Man I'm glad I don't have that problem!

6. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    this post can turn for the worse. We can have a lot of fun with this. this board is loaded with some drivers, that comment, and I laugh so darn hard, I choke, have a cold. But laugh so #### hard, Im like Red Fox, Im having the big one , Lamont.:laughing-guffaw:

7. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Elizabeth!!!!

8. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Just call the phone company and have them disconnect the phone line.....problem solved, no more ######## calls LOL!!!!!

9. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    To be honest tho, I have the opposite problem. My lady doesn't mind me being gone as much as I do. She knows I have to do it to make a better life for us and is very supportive. Some women can handle it and some cant. I went thru 6 girlfriends over 4 years trying to find the one that could handle it. Now that i got her i aint letting her go.

I'm home on weekends tho but I still would enjoy a job with daily home time but the rates don't justify it right now.

AFSTruckerswife Thanks this.
  10. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    JCW gets home when he gets home. It's all good. We have a home and 12 acres with goats, sheep, cows and 2 girls to homeschool that I have to take care of. Meanwhile, I also make sure his route is intelligent and not over restricted roads, and get him out of fixes when he doesn't take the correct turn. We are partners. Just (currently) 1300 miles apart. That number fluctuates depending on where he is sent. BUT, we discussed all his options before he chose to go OTR. Not the least of which was to keep fixing autos.

Do I miss him when he's gone? Hell, yes. Do I wish he could be home more? Of course. But the honest truth is, with the exception of not being home, he LOVES what he is doing. That means the world to me, since I have watched my husband come to hate what he used to love over the last 8 years. (Fixing cars.) It isn't all roses and sunshine, but the fact that he is not a big ball of anger and stress when he IS home, means when he IS home, he is not taking out the stress of the job on us. (Now, don't go all weird and think something off. Nothing untoward ever happened, no violence, none of that.)

AFSTruckerswife, Cheryl and ricrey99 Thank this.
  11. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    A happy wife = Happy life.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.