How to eat well on the road. On a budget.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by joseph1135, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Skydivedavec

Skydivedavec Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic
    And what is the cost of said 24oz cup of Kuerig mud? I like the price ($20) of the unit. But isn't the coffee expensive?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I'm thinking he meant the k-cups. I opted for the regular style cone filters and regular ground coffee in a can because I'm just cheap that way. When I worked in an office, I loved going somewhere that had a Kuerig machine and also paid for the supplies LOL.

Skydivedavec and joseph1135 Thank this.
  4. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

If you buy Green Mountain coffee, yes, it is expensive (Green Mountain owns Keurig and a whole bunch of K-cup manufacturers.) However, everybody sells a small K-cup-like unit that you can put your own coffee in. I use one all the time; I buy green beans, roast them, and grind them as I need.

Skydivedavec and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  5. Skydivedavec

Skydivedavec Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic
    Wow that sounds tasty. I thought those kcup coffee makers used only the prepackaged coffee. I didn't realize you can use conventional filters and regular coffee. Who knew?

6. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Regular coffee, yes. Regular filters, no. This is what the assembly looks like. Holder, filter, cover.

image.jpg

Skydivedavec and Campitor Thank this.
  7. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I have an inverter and a 750w microwave. I also have a small built in fridge. My wife freezes some leftover dinner portions in microwavable containers to send along. I also take hot dogs or Johnsonville brats and sandwich fixings. I like those tuna salad and cracker packages for a quick snack.
    I carry LOTS of shelf life food you just heat and eat and, of course Cup O Noodles as a standby...I too like to get an actual kitchen prepared meal at a sit down place on occasion and have found a few good ones in my travels that I make a point to stop at...

8. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Today I just made 2 small burritos. Got some Mission tortillas, put them in the pan for a minute or two, then took fajita beef, 2 minutes to heat up in the pan, threw some ColbyJack cheese shredded cheese on it, 30 seconds in the microwave then added salsa and sour cream. 2.5 minutes of cooking and less than 3 minutes of prep time. Totally filling and cost less than a Big Mac meal at McD's. Eating well on a budget baby

Skydivedavec and Victor_V Thank this.
  9. 57stroker

57stroker Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2014
    I bought my microwave from walmart.com and used "site to store". $38.00 - cheapest new one I could find. Fits in the truck perfect. Being a Bunn man, I used to laugh off the Kuerig until my son bought me one for Christmas. (I also bought one of the refillable screen cups) I'm so impressed, I'm going to buy a Kuerig for the truck. It's not the price of truck stop coffee that puts me off, the person making it usually has never drank a cup of coffee in their life. Ends up tasting like weak dish water!

10. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    I guess there's a difference between eating well and eating healthy.

I just try to avoid processed foods, corn syrup and preservatives. Limit sugar to occasional treats and what naturally occurs in fruits.

And soda pop is poison. Why does a grown man need sugary drinks anyway? Are you a frikkin hummingbird?

And just a note about calories, I'd worry more about the above mentioned things more than calories. Calories are energy.

11. Victor_V

Victor_V Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    I'm 'learning myself' (learn by doing) to break down a whole chicken into parts, courtesy of various YouTube videos, all of which do it slightly differently. One starts with the bird away from you, like it's sitting watching TV, another pops the wings back and takes those off first, another starts with drumsticks, pops those and takes those off.

Have 1 done and the back ready to go into crock pot for soup, 1's in the refrig ready to fly into pieces. Got three in the freezer waiting their turn...

Okay, I have a little more room than a truck, but home's based on small living... I'm a trucker and we're the original small-space-living people. We were trendy like that before it became cool.

DoneYourWay and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.