How to eat well on the road. On a budget.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by joseph1135, Jan 26, 2015.

1. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    SAMs Club makes a good chicken salad from rotisserie chicken. I love that stuff with a few crackers for a quick lunch.

I also bring leftovers from my smoker. Pulled pork, beef, salmon whatever was grilled while home. Lunch box oven or microwave at a plant or truck stop heats it up fine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Havingbabieseveryweek

Havingbabieseveryweek Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2014
    I drive for prime , therefore I have no need for a budget

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  4. AnastasiaBeaverhausen

AnastasiaBeaverhausen Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Spam, spam, spam..... spam sammiches, mmm

5. PChase

PChase Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Show Me State
    I keep an electric skillet, a rice cooker, and a foreman grill. I can cook a lot of stuff.

Skydivedavec and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  6. flatbedder

flatbedder Medium Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Illinois
    $5 foot longs no longer at subway.

7. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

Yes...7.50 and up now! Screw Subway!

I cook at home on the weekends and have a well stocked truck,
    Fridge,microwave,crock pot,coffee maker and a toaster oven...lol.

With the food from home and hitting a grocery store once a week I can eat good for about 60 bucks or so a week.
    Might eat a big Arby's roast beef on occasion too...

8. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    When i was growing up in a family of 8 kids my mother went nowhere without a supply of what we simply called Ham Buns.

Good Martins butter buns with good ham on them with no condiments. We used always be traveling as a kid and if you said mom i am hungry the reply was have a Ham Bun.

So 10 years ago when i was running my Parasail Marine business during Spring break it was cold and you were stuck out running the boat for 12 hours straight and food was usually a cold sandwich from Subway which was always to busy to order from.

One day i stopped and bought a couple bags of buns and some cheeses and ham and foil.

Made up a bunch of sandwiches in front of the leering eyes of the doubtful crew and than individually wrapped them and opened the engine hatch and lined the upper part of the motors with buns .

Crew thought I was crazy thought it would taste like diesel. 4 hours later i crack open the hatch and grab the buns mmm mmmm warm food when you are cold and starving is sooo goood

Meanwhile the crew is starving because they are not going to eat off am engine. Finally hunger overcame them and they tried one,

Needless to say they thought it was the best meal they ever had and we always had buns warming on the motor everyday

Funny part was the boat took out 12 customers at a time and the 31 foot boat had a loud diesel that sat right in the middle of the boat where the customers feet would be.

When we would get hungry we would suddenly ask all the customers to get up and move forward and there would instantly appear of look of concern on their faces especially when you opened the hatch and the diesel is rattling away right in front of them.

They would be like whats wrong as we would scoop up some sandwiches off the motor and we would be like nothing just had to get our lunch.

After a while I would bring more than enough so if a customer was hungry and curious I would give them a Bun.

Always was rewarded back in a Tip tenfold for this .

Skydivedavec, EZ Money and 77smartin Thank this.
  9. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    I just paid $5.65 total for a foot long meatball at the Loves.

10. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    From Ham Buns to 50 year old Transvestite flatbedders and that boat making stuff...you got some cool stories.

Hijack over.

11. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Not even the tip of the iceberg. Has been a crazy 51 years. Didn't help growing up in a family with 8 kids all with their own different ideas Also a father who was always self made and always looking for a new adventure plus encouraged all us kids to live the same way.

Many years of my own carefree adventurous can do anything spirit, I used to live by, combined with Boats on the brain leads to some interesting stories.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.