How to eat well on the road. On a budget.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by joseph1135, Jan 26, 2015.

1. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    When I was working highway construction, we used to put canned chili or whatnot on the truck and air compressor engines for a hot meal. Gets the job done when the convenience of an inverter and microwave aren't available.

DoneYourWay and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    When I worked construction it was a normal sight to see a row of foil packages laid out on the hot tar spraying machine the road paving crews ran. I never tried any of their food, but it must have tasted of tar...not that they would notice as that stuff stunk to high heaven and they were always covered in it.

Weirdest "cooking" method I tried was a "butt" sandwich. Make your sandwich, wrap in saran wrap or foil, then sit on it. anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Body weight and heat would press the sandwich and warm it up. You may not want to do it where people can look on and question your sanity...or if you have severe flatulence.

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  4. Victor_V

Victor_V Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    Elk Stew

Local Sav-A-Lot (Spencer, Indiana) had 8 oz. package of 'Elk Stew Meat' for $3.99 yesterday. Says raised without added hormones or antibiotics, free ranged, 'never confined to feed lot.' Recipe on back says to brown in large pot, I put in turbo convection oven for 10 minutes. Calls for diced onions, diced carrots (I sliced 1/4-inch), garlic cloves thinly sliced, 2-inch orange peel (don't have), 1 bay leaf (I have but really wouldn't know why, why not), tablespoon sugar (skipped), sea-salt and coarse ground pepper. (I have Redmond 'natural sea salt' mined in Utah. Skipped for now. Did grind some pepper.) and beef stock. Well, I had chicken broth (stock). Used that.

Have on low setting (Off-Low-High-Warm), which gets very hot over time.

You could do this on a truck. If tastes as good as smells, euphoria. Hopefully not like coffee that smells delightful, tastes horrible. But smells really good.

Probably bake a potato or two later in the micro, slice up and add.

Have fresh celery, parsley and cilantro might add towards end, too.

Lepton1 and tommymonza Thank this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Do you have a brand name for that elk meat? I'd like to track down the supplier and see if I can find their retail distribution to buy at retail or buy a case from them direct. I wonder if they also have bison or venison?

6. Victor_V

Victor_V Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    Black Wing Meats, 17618 W. Edwards, Antioch, Il 60002, 800-326-7874, www.blackwing.com. Comes nicely packaged. We have bison, deer and elk farms near here and can get same kinda inner vacuum-pack. This has a nice, colorful box that would store well, too. Beth Allison Kaplan, Vice President and Executive Chef with message on back.

Says 130 calories, 22 g protein, 4.5 g fat and 60 mg cholesterol. Compare beef 220 calories, 23 G protein, 14 g fat, 70 mg cholesterol. 41% less calories, 68% less fat. Beef analysis USDA.

Tellya, smells really good...

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Thank YOU Victor! Their web site doesn't have a way to find local retailers, so I've contacted them to see if I can get a retailer list. They have lot's of other options as well, including pheasant. I LOVE pheasant.

While my intake of meat has dropped dramatically, when I eat meat now I'm normally sitting down to a nice ribeye. It's a rare thing to find alternatives to beef and I miss being able to hunt and having venison.

8. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    image.jpg
    What's for lunch today? And throughout the day? Italian sausage Tortelloni. You can pick up a package at Walmart for $6. Boil water and add some olive oil to the pot. Ten minutes later and you have some good food. Strain it and you're done. Instead of red sauce, toss it with olive oil and you're in business.

Campitor and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

That looks good but for me olive oil does not set well on my stomach...
    I could take marinara sauce and melted cheese on top of that and be fine.....:biggrin_25524:

joseph1135 Thanks this.
  10. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Speaking of sitting well with the stomach, I've been eating a lot of PLAIN yoghurt to add probiotics. This has certainly helped settle my stomach and regulate my "constitutionals". Plain yoghurt is recommended instead of flavored varieties because if you look at the label ANY flavored yoghurt has enormous amounts of sugar. My change in diet (which helped me EASILY lose 35 lbs) focused on eating yoghurt for probiotics and LOTS of fresh, uncooked fruits and vegetables.

I've also been eating chocolate for the antioxidants. If I can't find a good brand of bitter chocolate with next to no sugar I'll get Baker's chocolate. Eating 100% cacao or as close to 100% cacao chocolate is a good probiotic boost as well.

Recently I've found 100% powdered cacao from Ghiradelli. I'll add a heaping tablespoon in my plain yoghurt and add a little bit of raw honey (helps with allergies) and stir it up into a most excellent and healthy pudding.

Be sure you buy a yoghurt with as many active bacteria as possible. Brands like Stoney Farms or Chobani seem to be best and are readily available at most grocery markets, including Walmart.

11. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    image.jpg
    Who doesn't love nachos? I know I do. Problem is, where do you get decent nachos on the road? Do You really want the ones at Pilot for $3 with the cheese and mystery chili out of the machine that you never see them clean or change? Not me. I'll make my own, thank you very much. not in the mood to stop to use the bathroom every ten minutes. These are beef brisket nachos. And yes, they are delicious. Mission tortilla chips, Sadler's beef brisket (sliced or torn) Colby Jack cheese, sweet baby ray's bbq sauce and some sour cream. Forgoing the salsa for bbq sauce because it's beef brisket and it gives it a unique flavor. Prep time of less than 2 minutes. Microwave for 1:15 to melt the cheese and heat the brisket.

tommymonza, pattyj and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.