How to establish residency in another state

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mighty Bananas, Mar 27, 2019.

1. tseders93

tseders93 Bobtail Member

May 4, 2014
    One quick note. After I changed my CDL from Illinois to Missouri, a background check showed both licenses as active, which caused a bit of an issue with obtaining a new driving job. I called IL to make sure it was showing as surrendered, which it was in their system, but was informed that it may show active on BG checks until it expired.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No, not an apartment; just a room in a house. Just the bare minimum to get a legal address. You can find something for a couple hundred and up, $500, $600 a month. Nothing fancy, just something to have a legal address. Use Google or Bing and search for "Rooms for rent Las Vegas" or Rooms for rent Reno" or where ever you want.
    Roommate Needed - $500 monthly (this one is a female and will rent to male or female)
    1 roomParadise (89119)Utilities inc. | No Fee
    [​IMG]
    I Have a room with a bathroom included looking for someone responsible and can pay rent on time have to have a job NO EVICTIONS must add name on my...

Available 1 Apr

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    CK73 Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Friend of mine rented a room in Las Vegas and there were only 4 people there in the house. He was the only guy of the four. Anyway, he said it worked out just fine because everyone had a decent job and their own social life outside the home.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's one in another tax free state of Texas>
    Rooms for Rent Classifieds in Amarillo, Texas - Claz.org
    https://amarillo.claz.org/classifieds/housing/for-rent/rooms
    Saw one on here for $320.00 a month.
    Craigslist also has rooms for rent.
    I used Amarillo because Interstate 40 runs through there and it would be in the hiring area for many companies. Saw a few cheaper than $320.00 a month.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'm wondering if a person could rent a room just long enough to get their domicile changed to that state, then move out and live in the truck. Use a UPS Store street address as a mailing address to get your mail.
    Some drivers that post on here do just that. One poster on here said he's been living in his truck for 7 years and used a UPS Store street address for his mail.

7. Mighty Bananas

Mighty Bananas Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Great info man, thanks!

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  8. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    People who live in RVs full time know how to establish residency in a new state while you travel/work full time.
    Go to YouTube and search how to establish residency in South Dakota, Texas, Tennessee, etc
    Also check out cheapRVliving(dot)com.

dwells40, Chinatown and Mighty Bananas Thank this.
  9. Mighty Bananas

Mighty Bananas Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2019
    What's great about renting a cheap room somewhere is the landlord is going to love the fact that you are gone most of the time. If I were renting a room out of my house, a trucker who only shows up one weekend a month would be an ideal tenant IMO.

dwells40 and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Slargtarg

Slargtarg Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2015
    I have no permanent residence and rent motel rooms on my time off.

I had been been wounded from being hit by a drunk driver and then fired for being unable to work while injured.

These are the steps I took to move from AZ to TX while being essentially homeless:

1. Rented UPS mailbox at a UPS store in TX. They will ask for identifying documents. In this case, it was providing my AZ license and car title.

2. Changed car registration, title, and insurance to new TX UPS box address.

3. Got a job with a company in North Dakota after my physical recovery and gave them my TX UPS store address for payroll and HR purposes. They photocopied my license during orientation even though my license was still in AZ. They didn't really question this discrepancy. I told them I had moved but not yet changed my liscence over.

4. Took insurance, registration, and pay stub to TX DMV (satisfying the documentation requirements) and changed drivers license to TX. I did this 2 months after starting my new job when i finally had the time to do it. During this time my company never questioned me about my residence/license discrepancy.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Bean Jr., dwells40 and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. Slargtarg

Slargtarg Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Perhaps some companies do, but not all.

In my case, they just used the address (Texas) on my application to determine if I was in the hiring area. They didn't care that my license was still in Arizona. The company I was hired on to did not do any loads into or out of Arizona. The recruiter just warned my to never take the truck into Arizona as they were lacking some permit to go into that state. No problem.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.