How to fight a over weight ticket in CA ?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by John Steward, Jan 3, 2013.

1. John Steward

John Steward Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2013
    So. CA
    Anyone fight and win a over weight ticket in CA? I got one for 2,750 over on the trailer. The fine $442.00. I scaled out in the yard and the trailer axles where at 26,000. When I got to the scales they got me at 36750. My company does not have owner"s responsibility. I think the digital read out is screwed up on the scale and I cannot prove it. It is a 70' scale and it adds and subtracts the axle weights as you pull on to the scale. I think it did not reset right when I weighed the the trailer. My steers and drivers weighed pretty much the same in the yard and at the CHP scale. I can pay the fine and have no points on my DMV print out. Someone said I can get OSHA points against me. What is he talking about? Any help out there in cyber land?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

If you don't have a certified weight ticket you have nothing to go by. Even with one it's an uphill battle, but without it you have nothing to argue with that has any legal standing.

4. John Steward

Jan 3, 2013
    So. CA
    Thanks for your input!

5. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Sorry it couldn't be better news. I'm a bit confused, you said it is a 70' scale but it adds/subtracts as you pull on? You can't stop with the whole truck on the scale and get individual axle group weights? If not then I'd stop as each axle gets weighed and write the numbers myself to double check the scale ticket. Also, I'm really curious to know how did your gross weight compare to what you weighed and what CHP weighed?

6. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Oh, the OSHA points? I'm pretty sure they meant CSA, OSHA does not assess any points against individual drivers. You should ONLY get CSA points assessed against you if an inspection form is written up. If all you got was an overweight violation and it was not written on an inspection form then you should be okay.

John Steward Thanks this.
  7. rayfigs

rayfigs Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2012
    I fought one in tx .I didn't have a chance to scale it at the truck stop.but I did after I got the ticket .I called the number on the citation told them I got a over wieght ticket when I wasn't .they asked if I had proof to mail it in.a week or two later was dismissed.I the time I had those services that supposed to help u fight tickets.they wanted to charge me. An extra hundred $ to do the same thing I did.and I was a rookie less than a month on the road.

8. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm pretty sure overweight tickets do not affect your CSA score.

By chance what scale did you get popped at? Donner or the one in Vallejo? I hate running across them, even when I am 100% legal.. they make me nervous.

The scale we have at work needs a second or two to settle and get an accurate reading. Did you wait a few seconds between putting the axle on and then getting a reading. That could affect it as well.

And were you dragging a set or a box?

9. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    doesnt go to Cali due to paying more then my share of bougus tickets.last one for bubbles on a pitttman arm....25.00 and csa points.good riddance Cali

10. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

??? What are bubbles on a pitman arm?

11. John Steward

Jan 3, 2013
    So. CA
    Yes it's a 70' scale. Pull on and.stop for each axle. Shows each axle weight as you drive across it. Gives the gross after you pull completely off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.