How to fight a over weight ticket in CA ?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by John Steward, Jan 3, 2013.

1. John Steward

John Steward Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2013
    So. CA
    San Onofre scale. S/B I 5 San Degio Co. 53' refer. Paper and fire wood on the tail. Discovered water pallets in front of the paper making it over weight.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I am a licensed scale master for OR,WA,CA and ID. I have testified as an expert witness in court more times than I can remember.
    From what you are describing, I think your chances of winning are about the same as winning the lottery without buying a ticket.
    Scales that weigh subtractively (one axle at a time as you pull on) are notoriously inaccurate. A platform scale reads the weight distribution from each load cell underneath. Commonly, a 70' scale will have as many as 16 load cells, but as a single platform, more likely 8.
    When you pull onto the scale at one end, you disproportionately stress the transducers and they read inaccurately.
    Suffice it to say, a platform scale that you pull onto one axle at a time is only an APPROXIMATE weight.
    If in doubt, go to to a nearby certified scale.
    Most often, yard scales are not maintained and are not accurate. They often have not been recalibrated in YEARS!
    A highway scale is calibrated at least once per year by law, but usually every quarter.
    Sorry for the ticket. It will likely not end up on your CSA score.

jbatmick and John Steward Thank this.
  4. John Steward

John Steward Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2013
    So. CA
    Thanks for your input !

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    If you show up to court, the bail amount usually gets reduce.

John Steward Thanks this.
  6. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I look at scales as if we're playing Russian roulette. You hope the red light doesn't go off on you.

7. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    bubbles on a pittman arm is a lie that was used by the guy in the cali inspection lane to create revenue.There was no bubles due to there not being any lubricate there.Mechanics laugh when I tell them that I had to pay a guy who told me I was the 3rd truck in a hr with the same excuse,75 to take it off and wipe the dust off and put it back on.25 for ticket and more points on my csa

8. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Well, I'm still not sure what it is supposed to be, but it just sounds bogus from the beginning. I'd definitely make sure the carrier fies a Data-Q challenge on that one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.