How to Financially Survive Truck Driving School

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SheBWheeling18, Oct 26, 2018.

1. SheBWheeling18

SheBWheeling18 Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Often times when changing careers we forget to budget for NON Paid training since our financial obligations we incurred prior to school will not be put on hold. Chasing Old Bills with new Money can cause financial stress and easily derail our goal of successfully completing truck driver training. This video will give you proven tips on how to avoid becoming victim to lack of preparation :

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    I don't watch these YouTube's .
    Never can get more than about 30seconds in before I want to throw my phone out the window.

Here's a good rule of thumb though,
    If you can , have at least three months of cash set aside for you fixed expenses.
    Depending on your financial needs this should get you through training and to your first full check.

Yeah but I don't have a pot to pee in right now. That's why I'm going to truck school.
    Tell everyone in a polite way to kiss your donkey cause you can't pay till you get your first check.
    By a few jars of goobers and a couple loafs of bread and hit the road.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia

Not commenting because I disagree. I am commenting because I not only agree but will expand your advice to even after when you are working as an active driver. Try to keep enough money on you to get home from any place in the US. Think me being a bit foolish? Read this! If anybody thinks this can't happen to them, well no further comment!

tscottme and driverdriver Thank this.
  5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    I carried not one dollar on me for a whole year however i always had a credit card handy so used them all the time this will allow you to go for a whole month without making any payments also our company would allow us if need be to take a cash advance out using our fuel card i never had to use it though i new a few drivers that did though.

6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Hmm, you won’t make eye contact with me in the video. What are you hiding?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    How many drivers as a percentage has a Credit Card do you think are out there? I have no idea, but based on my conversations with drivers I would imagine less then 50% do. My comment about money also included debit cards. I carried cash with me when I was active. I came across several of those Arrow drivers. Those guys effected me. I helped several of them with food money. In fact several of us paid for buffets for them. Trust me, you ever get hung out like that hundreds of miles from home, well I just hope it never happens to anybody reading this!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Call your financial institution and see if they will extend your payment.
    You might lay an extra fee or added interest but at least you will have a month free of a bill or 2.
    Btw... I have done this.

9. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Also... I rarely carry cash. My debit card pays for everything

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Agreed, my last several years I carried one too. I also had a regular CC as well. However I spent about an hour at the flying J in Pecos Texas watching a guy trying to get some information on why his debit card was being declined. Finally was able to get some money from his company to pay for his meal and I guess carry him through till he solved that problem. He swore there were almost 2 grand in that account. I never found out what happened. Plastic is nice and like I said I have used it. Still I recommend carrying cash.

11. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Good point.
    And also stay in contact with those you owe with updates to your progress.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.