How to find loads for a 26ft flatbed. What companies do I contact

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Keylak, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Upandaway

Upandaway Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2018
    The problem is that he will be competing for the same loads, I started with 36ft of trailer. Went ahead and bought the extra 4ft because of brokers and shippers asking for 40ft. Probably only used the 4ft extra about once a week, but it is there to make them feel better I guess lol. Some brokers do understand trucking and it won't matter . Just worked out better for me .

Pamela1990, Yelsew and Lite bug Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    The people telling him to go bigger is folks that have been in business a few years. They have already know. Yes if you have the freight opportunities already you can do it with a smaller trailer if the freight is not very long. But never having the opportunity to carry something longer may hinder you in the long run. I myself have a short trailer 34 ft. In 08 I bought a 25 ft. trailer. In 2014 I bought I bought a 34 ft. just by chance I had opportunity to use it for loads up tp 34 ft. I was able to pay for the trailer in a month. I ran 2 loads a day for $ 800 a day 5 days a week, stayed at the house every night. I have a small customer base which gives me access to light weight freight. That needs to go from point A to point B. Now starting out unless you are extremely blessed you don’t know where the freight opportunities are.

4. Keylak

Keylak Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Jessup, MD
    You are correct. I definitely have to find freight. Thanks for your advice!

5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Why limit your options more than you'll already be limited..? 26' you'll never be able to put even 2 cars on it, unless they are mini coopers maybe.. I'd hate My only trailer to be that short. Go 32'-34' as a minimum. My trailer is actually only 39' deck space. I had it built that way so I could keep the bed on my pickup & not be over 65' total length. I regret it all the time over 1 stinking foot!! It has cost me quite a few two truck or two van loads that paid well. I'm really wanting a 48' step deck now for another reason also. Lots of brokered freight is starting to say "no hotshots". This really bothers me because it's a load that would easily work on my trailer. It leads me to think a hotshoter screwed something up big with that shipper/broker. What the Hell are you other hotshot trucks doing out there..? Be safe, polite, respectful, dress for the job. Tie the freight down right, be on time for your appointments. Keep all your paperwork, neat & organized, & ready to be handed over to the LEO at any time. I want this "no hotshot" stigma on the load boards to go away.. Best of luck, & be safe out there..

Lite bug Thanks this.
  6. Keylak

Keylak Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Jessup, MD
  7. HSFT

HSFT Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2018
    Not liking the trend of u mentioning youre seeing alot of brokers saying NO to hotshoters.. Few bad apples better not ruin the buisness for the good guys..

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  8. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I agree 100%. Honestly, I probably see it 2-3 times a week. A broker literally said to me & I quote. "I'm not sure why they won't load hotshot, maybe one of y'all flipped him the bird." It's like hotshot racism!!! :confused:

I've actually talked my way into a few no hotshot loads by sending a photo of my rig to the broker by text message. The picture in my avatar is my current set-up. They see a old road tractor pulling the hotshot & then have no problem with me taking the load. "Oh, a semi with a small trailer, they'll load you no problem.." Weird right? What the Hell difference does it make. Freight goes on the trailer, not the truck.

Just thought it was worth mentioning. Don't be to worried about it though, still quite a bit of freight out there that will specifically request a hotshot..:cool:

Yelsew Thanks this.
  9. geebiz

geebiz Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2021
    I’m just starting out with a 26ft flatbed here in Atlanta, How did you build your contacts to run local? I would definitely pay for guidance and knowledge which could save time and money..

10. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I got family down your way. Nephew just bought 06 International and running with someone carrying lumber leasing trailer owns in a couple of years. Try finding small business needing reliable carrier. Also get set up to carry for brokers moving out of your area. Focus of moving freight to areas having outbound freight. If you have something going to NYC area expect little options coming out. It needs to pay to go there. South Florida the same situation. Treat every transaction as your first be respectful with everyone. When do you plan to start up?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.