How to get brokers to ACTUALLY PAY DETENTION?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kenworth6969, Feb 16, 2021.

1. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    On a side note, when a customer say they will pay 25 days after receiving the actual signed BOL do they actually mean 25 days..... because I'm on day 23 and getting a little worried....haha

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    That's no guarantee

4. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    All these guys playing truck stop lawyers I don’t get unless they don’t have the experience they are portraying the have .Waiting sometimes is the nature of the business.But from my experience if you would build relationships with fewer brokers and stop jumping between every broker listed on a load board you will get better luck with brokers that knows you on a better relationship and will in return work better with you if a extreme problem comes up like longer then reasonable wait time.But if your also going to be unreasonable in every situation they aren’t going to work for you either.For example a lot of times from my experience places that I loaded at that typically had longer wait times had better rates from the broker the detention was built in to the rate to a degree so would give some slack to the shipper.

Dino soar and wichris Thank this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Wait. I thought you had agencies renamed after you because your legal team gave them what for.

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  6. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    .... Detention solution. ...

Yesterday I delivered my load in Baltimore from Virginia. I lined up a reload 9 miles away going back home at the seaport through a broker.

When I arrived at the port there was at least 20 guys waiting outside the office waiting to check in. I knew this was going to take a long time to load and I knew for a fact that the seaport, the cheap receiver and the broker were all NOT going to pay any detention and give me that, "write your time down, first 2 hours free" crap.
    I've heard it all before been doing it for 11 years.

I call the broker and told him the truck broke down and wouldn't be able to pick up the load.
    In 3 hours I was back home. Screw that 2 hours free and any hope of getting paid after that.

7. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    I can't do stuff like that. I guess I could, but it wouldn't be me.

I've just read about an awful lot of chest beating over the years about this type of thing, and so far none of the cb's have contributed.

Vitkouski and 6wheeler Thank this.
  8. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    The broker's are kissing butt and more when they call up the shippers begging for loads, there not going to call them back and ask for more money for detention especially if there competition from another broker will get there business.

And it's very rare that a broker will take a loss in paying a truck to satisfy the driver for waiting around for hours. There policy is to make money not cost them money, and the driver's are NOT top priority. But if the broker is in danger of losing a shipper because of a truck failure, they will pay more than double sometimes to get another truck to "recover" a load.

Shippers satisfaction is everything to a broker, not so much for a driver

9. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    S
    So what I get from you is a broker will make sure there customers are happy,and you as a trucking company treat your customers with lies and don’t care about making your customers happy.It’s pretty easy to understand why after all the years you say you have,why you still even need to use brokers you have no relationship with

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Forget detention! It is best to know that the place is known for detaining beforehand and try to bid the linehaul rate accordingly.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  11. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    So far all the solutions I'm hearing are basically principles used at Landstar, but Landstar is decried as ALL F EVIL.

So we are confused. Not that, that is hard to do.:icon_cat:

So far my record for detention is $1350.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.