How to get brokers to ACTUALLY PAY DETENTION?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kenworth6969, Feb 16, 2021.

1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I got your answer on half of the post that I made that broker's will do everything to satisfy the shippers relationship, but the rest of the other half of the question still remains.

Driver's are NOT top priority for broker's in keeping them satisfied in paying for there time if it cost broker's money, but if it's the shipper's account it becomes top priority if an issue is in jeopardy.

Please answer if the driver's are just as equally important as the shippers when it comes to paying out of pocket for shipments that cost you money. Because I think I speak for a lot of us out here including my self that shippers relationship is everything to a broker, but not so much for the driver's.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I don’t believe you actually do anything with brokers Im sure you’re a company driver or at most a guy leased to a carrier.Your comments are without any actual knowledge of what I can tell. In your post you claim a break down that’s a service failure why would you want that on file for no reason other then you wanted to go home .The shipper is the brokers customer not you as the driver when in doubt the people who pay you is your customer so the broker is your customer you should care for your customer if you have any interest in growing your business if you believe brokers are without values or ethics but you conduct your own business in the same manner what is your complaint

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    RStewart Thanks this.
  4. 6wheeler

Aug 30, 2009
    You didn't answer the question so hear it is again,

Please answer if the driver's are just as equally important as the shippers when it comes to paying out of pocket for shipments that cost you money. Because I think I speak for a lot of us out here including my self that shippers relationship is everything to a broker, but not so much for the driver's.

5. Pepper24

Dec 3, 2010
    You really don’t have a question here you’re making assumptions you’re trying to portray every business deal as only working the same way by making up something I really don’t believe even happened .I’ve been into ports now I have seen the guys pulling ocean containers probably close to20 at the gate but there process goes pretty quickly relatively speaking I’m assuming that’s not what your trying to claim you were doing.To try and say 20 guys pulling vans or flats all showed up at the same time I really don’t believe that.Like I have said build relationships with fewer brokers if you been in business I think you said 11 years there is know good reason you should be working with a broker you don’t have a very good relationship with in my experience if I went to load at a shipper that does take longer it was already built into the rate if it took an unreasonable longer I had the relationship with the broker I could call and always worked it out

6. Pepper24

Dec 3, 2010
    Maybe I can explain a different way.When I bought my first truck I leased on to a textile mill in NC will hauled the mills products out and picked up back hauls to come back.After about 6 months you learned if you were in Illinois you pretty much knew what you were going to pick up because the back haul load dispatch only worked with a few brokers he didn’t jump around to every broker on a load board

7. Pepper24

Dec 3, 2010
    Maybe I can explain a different way.When I bought my first truck I leased on to a textile mill in NC will hauled the mills products out and picked up back hauls to come back.After about 6 months you learned if you were in Illinois you pretty much knew what you were going to pick up because the back haul load dispatch only worked with a few brokers he didn’t jump around to every broker on a load board

8. Pepper24

Dec 3, 2010

9. 6wheeler

Aug 30, 2009
    Here is the question again,

Please answer if the driver's are just as equally important as the shippers when it comes to paying out of pocket for shipments that cost you money.

Also if you don't believe me that's just fine, but I know what Ruckers Terminals off of Clinton St are like with 20 driver's waiting outside to check in at Baltimore.

10. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    If you knew it was going to be like that and you booked the load then you should've honored your word. A man's word used to be everything and to some it still is. If I'm that broker your name is on my list.

Plenty of times I've pulled loads for brokers and it turned into a bad deal because of the loading or unloading situation. I made note of how that broker handled the situation and if I wanted to run it again. Now, I have been sitting at a shipper getting loaded and I was 200 miles from the house. The load didn't pay that good but it took me home which was my destination loaded or not. Broker lied to me about my pick up appointment. I couldn't make the pick up time they had listed on the board. After explaining this to the broker and asking if it can be moved they supposedly contacted customer and got the pick up time changed. I get there to check in and shipper tells me I'm late and that I'll be a work in. They'll get to be at some point. I tell the broker this and didn't get a response. An hour after my supposed new appointment, about 2 hours after I checked in, I'm still waiting and I still haven't heard anything from the broker. I tell the broker they have 1 hour to get me in the door and get me loaded or I'm coming off the load and going home. And I would've done it. I don't deal well with people when I'm lied to. However, the shipper puts me in the door within 15 minutes and had me out of there within the hour.

I saw that load on the board again plenty of times after this and I would just head home empty. The pennies weren't worth the hassle.

Speed_Drums and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  11. 6wheeler

Aug 30, 2009
    My post in response to the question, how to get broker's to pay detention. I think you misunderstood my point when I replied to a broker on here, Pepper.

First off Pepper never answered the question. Are driver's equal in paying our of pocket to keep a driver, because broker will pay out of pocket to keep a shipper but not a driver all the time. That was in response to the question, how to get broker's to pay detention.
    And this goes to my second point,

I left a seaport that I knew very well because I knew the broker, the shipper and receiver all were not going to pay detention, so that was my second answer to the question, how to get broker's to pay detention. The broker Pepper wanted to say that I made up that story when I didn't. Not only did he not answer my question, he wanted to call me a lier.

Thanks

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.