How to get contracts/shippers

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by harmin5288, Sep 9, 2012.

1. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    I can guess what happened to most of them............

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 57104 - Ya Heard!

57104 - Ya Heard! Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Where to go and who to haul for.....never ending chase it seems.

4. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Really? What do you think happened?

superhill56 Thanks this.
  5. ManhattanTransfer

ManhattanTransfer Bobtail Member

May 13, 2016
    But aren't the load boards reliable? I want to buy a truck. Met a guy who only uses load boards and lives his life as he desires. I'm so confused about this whole industry. PS I have driven reefer for 13 months, but want to own my own rig. I know there are $ to make, I am perplexed how to accomplish it.

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    No, they are not reliable. Think of a roller coaster. Now think of the past 18 months being in a roller coaster valley. Yep you might make it. Some people are. But reliable it ain't. It's hard scrabble work and a fight for every nickel.

bbechtel16 and Rocksma34 Thank this.
  7. samjward

samjward Light Load Member

May 20, 2016
    Not true at all. I know MANY shippers who would rather deal with CARRIERS directly than to deal with a broker who takes 30% and has a 15% upcharge on the lane. I'm not saying carriers will get rich quick as the shipper knows they cut the middle man and will lower their price for a carrier. Either way, there are many and I mean MANY shippers out there looking for a dedicated carrier to call. Here's a hint for ya: LOOK LOCAL FIRST. Find the nearest shipper to your home location. That way you can setup a lane to pickup from them every week.

7seriestv, 6wheeler and rollin coal Thank this.
  8. Brotherpartners

Brotherpartners Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Hello,

Trying to pm you but i need to have 7 posts first. Dont have 7 posts, is it possible for you to start a convo w me?

wildercorp Thanks this.
  9. 360Logistics

360Logistics Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Looking to link up directly with shippers but I haven't had much luck. I know that these are trade secrets and no one is going to spell it out for me but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

So far I've been just cold calling companies such as steel & metal companies (mostly off google) asking about their shipping needs.

Thus far most are not shipping long haul, or the company already has their own trucks OR the companies buying their products have their own trucks.

Is there a more efficient way to find these shippers rather than off google? Is there a list of shippers that use brokers that I could call up one (would be willing to pay for this list of course).

Just looking for some advice so thank you to anyone that can help!

10. 360Logistics

360Logistics Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Looking to link up directly with shippers but I haven't had much luck. I know that these are trade secrets and no one is going to spell it out for me but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

So far I've been just cold calling companies such as steel & metal companies (mostly off google) asking about their shipping needs.

Thus far most are not shipping long haul, or the company already has their own trucks OR the companies buying their products have their own trucks.

Is there a more efficient way to find these shippers rather than off google? Is there a list of shippers that use brokers that I could call up one (would be willing to pay for this list of course).

Just looking for some advice so thank you to anyone that can help!

11. samjward

samjward Light Load Member

May 20, 2016
    Stay local. Focus specifically on what you want to haul, and look for smaller shippers in your local area.

Joe Dan and 360Logistics Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.