How to get direct shippers, cutting out the (Thieves, this is my opinion), brokers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pktruckdriver, Jun 10, 2007.

1. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Going to resurrect this one more time. Just for an update on this one specific account. The company was very impressed with the service that we provided and has asked us to be their dedicated carrier. They have enough freight to keep the hubby busy all week, and he will most likely only be out two nights a week at most.

Because of our location, and the location of one of their customers that gets freight almost daily, we now have a dedicated account to keep the truck running.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Funniest typo in quite a while, kudos.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  4. MrHarris504

MrHarris504 Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Marrero,La
    Real helpful for a new driver like myself. Although this post is 7 year old!

5. Tomsspy

Tomsspy Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2014
    would you please send me the names of the "good Brokers' out there that pay in 24 hours with a clean BOL? I am a new owner operator and just now getting my own authority.. thanks...

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    If you are working on 24 hour receivable, then I suggest you look at leasing onto a company first.

The first rule I learned as an owner is to have at least three months operating capital because receivables are a 30/60/90 day cycle.

7. blanco

blanco Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Gwinnett County, GA
    Direct shippers.
    We asked 1 and they required minimum of 10 trucks and as many drivers. Also required having some extra trailers for drop/hook at their place.

We grew to the required size and then found other problems. As we picked up even more customers, they had different requirments. Some require a secure drop yard with cameras and security yard. This was for our dedicated high value loads. Suffice to say, we never lost a load while another broked out load was lost/stolen in Michigan somewhere. This caused great pain and consternation to our customer. Sometimes, you do get what you pay for. We charged higher price, but got it there.

Clauses also state repowering a broke down unit and any penalties for late "Just on time" deliveries. ton's of other things i cant remember.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. gtilogistics

gtilogistics Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Bringing this back! I ran across this thread and wanted to help my fellow truckers out! I was always depending on brokers to give me freight until I found out from a shipper how much they were paying the broker...they work making 40% more! I bought this directory online at freightleadsusa.com now In the past year I've added four trucks to my fleet with several shippers I got s deal with. I would give it a shot and knock those brokers out...

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. Abelnkn

Abelnkn Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Any word or updates on how to get direct shipper loads in 2017? has anyone used Fr8Connect.com?

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    egg farms in particular.

My one humble contribution.

We had a medium egg farm not far from yard with maybe 4 trucks and any time we needed a load, over the hill to the farm we went. Mountains of eggs to ship in boxes crying for reefers every day with more coming. (Note it takes a little time to get it loaded)

Getting a load back? Well... that can be a adventure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.