How to get hazmat endorsement?

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Driver5666, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Driver5666

Driver5666 Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2024
    I am looking to upgrade my CDL to include the hazardous materials endorsement. From what I understand, you have to undergo a TSA background check, get fingerprinted, pass an ELDT course, take the written exam, and only after you pass that exam do you get the hazmat endorsement.

I am moving to Nebraska in April and want to get a hazmat endorsement on my license. I have put it off for awhile as I wanted to wait till I have a new license. What steps of getting the endorsement can I complete prior to having a Nebraska license? Should I complete the ELDT course now or wait till I have a Nebraska license? What courses do you recommend to meet ELDT requirements? I know it is an involved process but want to familiarize myself with it so I can be prepared.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Your hazmat license must reflect your residence. I think you have like 30 days to do so. When I moved from Missouri to Kansas, I thought I could just get a Kansas license and everything would follow over. Wrong. I would have had to refingerprint, and retest. So I just let it drop. Nebraska might be different I don’t know if it’s a state thing or a federal deal. Food for thought tho. Your other points you made mention are correct yes; you get on with TSA website, schedule to fingerprint, then you take the written. When I took mine and everytime I updated it, my tests were really concentrated on the order the hazmat is written in on a BOL. So just a heads up you may wanna focus on that extra hard. There are practice tests you can take right here on TTR too. A lot of the questions are tricky double word play crap so be sure to read them thoroughly. You’ll see a bunch of “which of these thing would you not not do if you’re placarded flammable”. Stuff like that. Good luck!!

4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I would recommend to go get the federal background check a few weeks BEFORE you go take the hazmat test at DMV, this way your background check should be complete and no need to wait. Mine only took one week to clear.

lual and motocross25 Thank this.
  5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    @motocross25 is correct, the hazmat endorsement doesn't just transfer like the rest of your CDL does (to hell with the Full Faith and Credit clause and the Privileges and Immunities clause, amirite?). So for simplicity's sake I would wait until you transfer your CDL to Nebraska then add the HME at that time.

6. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    is twic card holders considered background checked?!

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  7. Driver5666

Driver5666 Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2024
    I'll definitely have a Nebraska license by the time I add the hazmat endorsement, but what I'm wondering about is the ELDT course. Would it present a problem if I completed that course prior to getting a Nebraska license? Would there be a window of time I have to get the endorsement after finishing the course? Or is it only the written test that has to be done after having a Nebraska CDL?

Basically I'm wondering if it would be ok to get the ELDT out of the way now or if I should wait till I get a Nebraska license to complete that course.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    For simplicity's sake....& also to keep Murphy's Law at bay -- do all this AFTER you are in Nebraska.

-- L

9. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes....and no. :)
    At least in Michigan, you may get a discount, depending on when the other was gotten, but apparently you have to have both checks done, or at least, that's the way it's gone for me. Because of the time they are due for renewal, the timing is not always conducive to get the discount. State license is good for 4 years. TWIC is good for 5 years. FAST is good for 5 years. You can renew a TWIC card up to a year early, so in Michgan's case that may work. Here's the text pertaining to the cost and application of the TWIC as regards HME and the discount.

The fee for a new TWIC® enrollment is $125.25, and the credential is valid for five years. If you hold a valid Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HME) or a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card, you may pay a reduced fee of $93.00. If you choose to pay the reduced fee, you must present your HME or FAST card at the time of enrollment. If you pay the reduced fee, your TWIC® card expiration date will be five years from the issuance date of the supporting FAST card or the expiration date of your current, unexpired HME. If you are renewing your TWIC® card, you will be charged a fee of $125.25 to renew in-person, or if you are eligible for online renewal and choose to renew online the fee will be $117.25.

As you can see, to qualify for the discount, you must already have your HME or FAST card to use as proof for the reduced fee. Of these options I 've used the discount one time for the first TWIC application as I had already had my HME still in force, but as the timing and availability to apply was never in sync after that, and I didn't take the time to plan the timing I never used it again. As you may note above, however, the reason I chose not to do this, is that your discounted TWIC expires when your HME or FAST expires, so you have a built in renewal aspect if you want, but here's the catch again...you already have to have one or the other to qualify for the discount. In essence you're not getting the full time, and have to pay to get one or the other first, to qualify for the discount, so you'll always be shorted on time in effect.
    Hope this helps. :)
    :banghead:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Yes, I do both when I go to renewal.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.