HOW TO GET IT HOME, 2013 DD13 presumably DPF restricted or plugged

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by ast26909, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    So what We would be doing here is creating (or as close to as possible) an idea situation for an automatic (driving) regen. Hopefully during this time what ever cause the fault will read correctly enough for the regen to complete it’s self.

The DOC clean out routine is because you said you think there are after-treatment plugging issues as well. The pulsation from the Jake Brakes helps knock build up from the DOC face into the DPF’s and gets them burned out as well. Maybe with a cleared after-treatment he might be able to make it home.

One thought to consider. This could cause a DPF or DOC push instance that would be a cause for a one-box replacement. Which is why I put a disclaimer.

ast26909 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    To bypass the 25mph or 5mph:

If regen can not be completed or ineffective the dozer injector might be clogged or not spraying:

Force regen, this cheap scantool can do it:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0739WS69C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fool the computer into thinking the SCR is doing 100% reduction:

Clean the DPF the cheap way:
    How to clean a DPF

I have Detroit Diagnostic Link so fixing the truck is not a problem, it's unfortunate it's so far away from home and there are too many highway robbers out there.

4. ast26909

Mar 1, 2018
    I actually got 2 trucks home with the red engine light flashing, 2 yellow lights were on, I jammed the 'engine shutdown overdrive' switch and drove the trucks at highway speed 65mph normally. The first 30 min to 1 hour there was light smoke coming out due to the DPF burning off, after the smoke had cleared the red light went off and the trucks drove 1200 miles home no more problems. This is the 3rd truck so I sent my driver by himself wasn't expecting a problem because the red light wasn't even on.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I dunno about trucks but off-highway equipment you will ruin the DPF if you keep running it derated with a fault that prevents the system from performing a regen.

Hate to say it but there's no "magic" fix. Unless you can pull the fault codes out and see what component is malfunctioning, you'll be wasting money changing parts that don't need to be changed.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  6. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    take a hammer and knock the guts out if that's what you want to here not my truck

7. TexasKGB

TexasKGB Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Fiddler's Green

If this is the same truck you've been posting about it has all sorts of gremlins and repairs not done that you don't understand; and this could very well be a result of several patches and cheap fixes.

"Fair rate"...

Put your driver up in a hotel and have it towed.

Seriously....cheap truck that no fleet uses, not willing to pay for a tow or repairs, and you're #####ing at the people you asked for help.

Junk it and buy a good truck. Not another RAM, though.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  8. ast26909

Mar 1, 2018
    I was asking for technical expertise and experience from those who have done it or willing to offer clever ideas, not opinions from the lazy or stupid.

For those who want to advance their technical knowledge see screenshot, I replaced the bad part which costs $38.83 (Freightliner list price) and drove the truck normally home 1200 miles no problems. 20200111_012326[1].jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.