How to get the best MPG

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by S0uppppp, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    It creates less of certain emissions yes the type of emissions that are related to unburnt fuel but the emissions created by the burning of the fuel could be the same or heater depending on the emissions tech on the engine

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Minimize gap between cab and trailer. Drive slower. Keep all tires properly inflated. If owner, buy tires next time that will maximize efficiency. Don't idle or run APU needlessly.

Drive downhill when the wind is at your back and haul lighter freight.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  4. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    One suggestion is to determine what manner of engine you have. It would likely be a Cummins ISX in a 579 Pete. Then, look and see what it's torque rating is. It should be on a plate on the engine.

If that's not available, I'd say run that between 1000 and 1400 rpm.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Drive a company truck. My fuel bills have never been lower!.

7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    unless your already doing it drop your top speed to below 65 mph freewheel down hills check your engine manufactures stats on what is the best revs for good economy you also need the right differential ratio's.

8. Ssand Man

Ssand Man Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2015
    10 miles from no where!
    There's a lot of factors that affect your mpg.
    I also drive a 579. Your mpg sounds very low. I average 7.8 mpg.
    Shift at the LOWEST rpm that you can get away with. Accelerate gently, like there's a raw egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal. I set my cruise in the middle of my sweet spot, 1200 rpm. That happens to be 60mph. Heavy loads, head winds, hills/mountains all affect mpg. I've has as high as 11.0 loaded heavy, with a tail wind. And as low as 6.5 with a head wind.
    Remember, you're big, and heavy. Don't try to keep up with the traffic at a stop light. Let them all go on. I maximize my fuel bonus, average $350.00 a month by driving MY way.
    I get cussed all the time by the supertruckers that think you have to bump the speed limiter everywhere they go. Its my money, my truck, my rules!

Ghostortoast Thanks this.
  9. steve092

steve092 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I get 6.20 MPG in my truck overall.... I drive a heavy spec 386... I shift between 1500 to 1700.... BUT I will try the low shifting for sure..

10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Stay on top of your tire pressure.
    I saw an advisory report on injectors. Said they were most efficient at full throttle. ??? Geesh... we're talking about a diesel here.
    Cars are doing pretty good on mileage now. One thing is the ethanol fuel is bad. I use non ethanol and get over 10% better mileage. Ethanol is forced on many (Ca. for example).
    In daily driving. My car is a 40mpg car. A Corolla. I've never driven over 20 minutes on the freeway with it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.