How to get the best MPG

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by S0uppppp, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Driver0000

Driver0000 Medium Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    I'd kill for 6 mpg: I drive a D13 volvo 10 sp, 2012 that I'm working hard to get 5.2 out of with half my miles empty!!!!!

I'm paid at 5 mpg plus trip pay and everyone I work with is making money on their mileage except me and a few guys with old Pete's.

Heck, I even left the governor at 65. WTH?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    All that advice some of okay some not slow down drive easy anyone got any asprin. For my headache

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Just a little bit of hammer, drive with a egg between your foot and fuel pedal. Use just enough to keep her moving along. WHen gravity has it for a while don't add fuel. Leave it alone. Don't shift either. Not for a while.

You got to be somewhere 2000 miles away in 4 days. What's the hurry? You'll get there.

My favorite fuel mileage times were in western Kansas east of the Colorado line during summer storms that places the wind faster than 70 past the cab window pushing on the trailer from either the 7 o clock or 5 o clock. Mileage rates approach 20 miles to a gallon based on the engine's ECM output to dash every 5 seconds for a while. Solid 15 for around 2 hours once up there.

You even ease up when you are cresting a hill upgrade. give up rpms a little slowly and downshift real easy like as you come over. Don't add fuel, let the downgrade take you down. You might find it unnecessary to do anything at 900 rpm all the way down. It's slow. But... upgrades are gallons an hour. When you are on a 24% for 3 miles for a hour and plus less than walking speed you are throwing down 40 plus gallons just to lift the 80K rig up and over. There is no point in having a good fuel mileday with a hill like that.

Lepton1, Crude Truckin' and fargonaz Thank this.
  6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Where in H! is a 24% grade?

7. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I run a 2012 Cascadia condo dragging a Conestoga trailer. I typically bounce between 78,000+ (loaded) and 32,000+ empty.

I average mid-8s to mid-9s. Low is 7.

How? I balance my load as best as possible (steel hauler), keep the truck at the posted speed limit or about 65 (1325 rpms), whichever is slower, shift low on the power band, maintain tire pressure, and most importantly MAINTAIN THE TRUCK! An area most "mega" carriers fail in since they only run them for three years or so.

fargonaz and bzinger Thank this.
  8. steve092

steve092 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I am trying to feather the fuel pedal and shift before 1500.... so far It's a little better...

9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Hate to admit this but since I've started running west again on a somewhat dedicated triangle I'm at 7.4 mpg for the last 3 months on my isx powered Cascadia with a Manuel 10 speed .
    I recently had the road speed bumped to 73 mph from 67 and had the idle perimeters taken out tho I don't idle for anything more than warm up and cool down .
    The part I didn't mess with was the shift perimeters because I tend to have a heavy foot and it makes me just lay back on hills and stay out of the throttle and never run it against the speed governor.
    I stay in the highest gear possible at all speeds .
    Variables to numerous to mention and nobody other than line haul dedicated. Trucks and drivers will ever get the same mileage .
    I'm happy with mine .

brsims Thanks this.
  10. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Most newer engines have variable guide vane turbos that allow greater efficiency at lower RPM, so you can realize better economy without racing through the gears.

brsims and bzinger Thank this.
  11. steve092

steve092 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    How many MPG should a heavy spec truck be getting on average? I know these highway trucks get 6.5 to 9mpg... but the heavy spec is about 6k lbs heavier... would it make a huge difference?

bzinger Thanks this.
  12. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    The variances in what affects fuel mileage are as great as the universe ....my deceased father in law was the truck engine manager for caterpillar in Omaha and they based oil consumption on ecm fuel mileage.

steve092 and fargonaz Thank this.
  13. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Fuel mileage is an ethereal concept; like the meaning of life. You do your best, evaluate the results and try again. Or not.

steve092 and bzinger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs