How to get the best MPG

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by S0uppppp, Mar 17, 2017.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Heck I have a buddy with the same truck as mine only with dd15 power ..same year too . . and it won't budge out of the high 5s .
    And hes a business minded operater .

fargonaz Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Do all of the above recomodations and stay off cruise. Cringe. 1 mile to the gallon is easily achievable just by driving with your foot and listening to the engine. Cruise control absolutely kills fuel economy. Don't care what anyone says. It was and still is the biggest misconception in the industry.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  4. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    With no disrespect intended would you care to expand. On that ?

sealevel Thanks this.
  5. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    I agree now! Just took going from company driver to owner. There are still circumstances (d/h) where the mileage is virtually the same, but loaded is no contest.

6. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    The algorithm in the ECM is not too bad on flat ground, but once things start to get hilly I think the truck cruise errs on the side of more fuel instead of less fuel while climbing and cresting hills. Plus it can't see the next hill coming which makes it even worse when it comes to over-fueling on the next climb. Or not.

sealevel, bzinger and steve092 Thank this.
  7. steve092

steve092 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Yes you are 100% right with this, on flat ground cruise is great, but once the hills come it likes to waste a lot of fuel trying to pick up speed.

8. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Ok good that was my thinking also...I lay back and off the gas .

fargonaz Thanks this.
  9. sealevel

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Cruise only knows one thing...constant set speed. Even on flat grade crossing a slightly elevated grade it computes Wide open throttle. Whatever it takes to maintain set speed is all the computer knows. Diesel engines should seldom see wide open throttle. Might suck a little but you can take a 5mpg cat too 7,and a 60 series from a 7 too a 9. No snake oil needed. Just a light and steady foot. Just bought a cascadia with a dd15 and so far i am not pleased. Maybe a couple tenths better than my sixty series with 1.5 million miles. Still learning it though. But it's not looking good:(

Lepton1, bzinger and fargonaz Thank this.
  10. sealevel

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    No disrespect was ever interpreted. Lol. Need all the help I can get with this new truck I have. Not happy one bit so far. Hell I can't even hear the engine, so my advice goes out the window. Don't know what to do honestly, hoping for a solid nine but I was getting that before I bought this truck.
    My 30 day average (without def) is 8.7. I usually run less than 25,000 pounds but stay in the Appalachians. I was 8.3 with my Columbia. Just over 9 when running Midwest or 95.
    I don't touch the cruise unless I'm on flat land.
    When I bought this thing I somehow convinced myself I could achieve 10. Not happening.
    And too top this horror story off, this brand new Thermoking Apu won't run. What a POS.

Sorry, don't even know what I'm posting about anymore. Just needed to vent

fargonaz and bzinger Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The one I refer to is in Vermont the west side about 30 minutes south of canada border and Ethan Allen's Hardwood furnature factory. It's on a state two laner about 3 miles long. Straight up. At the top is the curve that will put you onto the grade if you did not know it was there.

That one has my name on it. There have been steeper grades than that as well, one here in Arkansas in the ozarks was the ultimate, almost vertical for 60 feet out of a man's property with a cement mixer. You go fast enough to get up without tipping but not too fast to jump over that 9 foot wide dirt track and tumble down the opposite ridge that is even steeper.

bottomdumpin, Lepton1 and fargonaz Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.