How to get to Utah..around Casper...my nemesis

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Qbf594, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Right before the first snow storm hit in Wyoming this year, I had a load from Denver the SLC. I took I70 all the way West to 50 and caught up with I15 in Scipio, UT. I didn't take the other route because I didn't have enough time on my clock for the day to make it all the way to I15 on the other route. I probably could only have gotten as far as Colton or so. If I stopped for the night there, I was afraid I'd get snowed on there. By taking 70 all the way to 50 and over to 15, I was able to get to Scipio before I had to shut down and I was West of any snow the next day. I think it added about 90 extra miles over the usual I80 route between Denver and SLC. But, I was able to deliver the load on time without getting stuck in weather anywhere. We had quite a few drivers who got stuck in that yuck on I80 and my DL was pleased I figured out a way around and delivered my load on time. They paid me the extra miles and is part of why I seldom am questioned if I take a different route than the planned one.i just let them know so I can get paid the miles and not have extra miles count against me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    Good that they work with you like that. My boss is awesome like that too. I go however I feel is best. I'm heading to Tremonton so north was my original plan all along but wind is new to me so I keep watch for it.
    I'm % and they're very easygoing so I think unless I'm unreachable or broke down they don't pay attention to my routes. Plus I'm typically very fuel and toll conservative :)

alds Thanks this.
  4. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Thats a long way around to SLC. But it works, so it’s good.

5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Under 'normal' conditions, I agree. But, it isn't too long, and, if it means being able to deliver a load on time verse the probability of being late due to weather, it's the right choice in my opinion. I much prefer the I80 route, weather permitting. I80 is a much better road to drive then I70, all things being equal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.