How to get your HAZMAT Endorsement!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by American-Trucker, Sep 16, 2010.

1. spacemaker

spacemaker Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Mississippi
    This is how I got mine. I got a CDL book from my State DMV, bought a set of 3X5 cards. Read each section in the Hazmat area and wrote questions on 3X5 cards with answers on the opposite side. Wrote 75 questions and studied them. Passed with flying colors (that means the test was easy cause I knew the answers). Cost was about $2.00 + DMV standard fees. The moral here is, with a little more effort on your part, it won't cost as much as buying test questions and you will actually learn it.

Truckers Keep America Supplied.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Each state is a little different in their order. Just google (state) cdl hazmat endorsement and follow the link to your states website. The questions on the test are about the same ones you read in the book itself. There's no need wasting money on online practice tests.

For example here is TN where I got mine.

4. formertaxidriver

formertaxidriver Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Aiea, HI
    TX is test first, if you don't pass why get your background check? Also, if you transfer a CDL from another state, you have to re do your hazmat.

5. Freebird135

Freebird135 Road Train Member

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    im not saying youre wrong, cuz i dont know the law, but they wouldnt let me get printed or take the test til my 21st birthday

also, yes, that cristcdl.com is a very good site to practice the hazmat test...its got the exact questions on there

6. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

i did it before my 21st b-day....might depend on where you got it done...

American Trucker

7. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    American Trucker it depends on the state in which order you do the BG check. I renewed my CDL with Hazmat and I had to take the test first. My license is good for 5 years. The two year thing is when a company hauls hazmat they have to a refresher type thing every two years to keep the drivers informed of any changes to the hazmat rules and company policies.

8. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

thats what I was saying, for the most part how I posted it is how it gets done, but does vary slightly by state. My CDL is good for 8 years but my Hazmat endorsement is only good for 2 years, then I have to go through all this crap at the DMV all over again lol

American Trucker

9. LadyTrucker99

LadyTrucker99 Heavy Load Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lexington, NC
    I am so not looking forward to the fingerprint and background thing next year when i gotta renew mine. :biggrin_25513: I just missed it first time around so its gonna be a process for me. LOL

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  10. Freebird135

Freebird135 Road Train Member

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    theres not many things in life i dread more then a trip to the license branch

11. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    AT that's strange. I don't have to renew my HM endorsement until I renew my CDL. Its one of two things. First the Feds could've change their policy. The second its a Ind. thing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.