How to log

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Grandiego, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Lugnut1968

Lugnut1968 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Newnan Ga
    When I got my CDL the first time in '92 it was standard procedure for me to run off 2-3 logbooks to make things appear legal. It was an hourly pay deal not mileage, with a small company that would even allow me to load my own loads if I pulled in after hours. I was a good bit younger and could handle weeks on end with just 4 hours sleep nightly. I did get caught a couple times at the chicken coop but never got anything but a slap on the wrist. I am guessing things have tightened up on that a good bit these days huh?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Oh I have seen illegal drivers get by the Chicken Coop but it's when they come in the office or if you are in an accident the real issue's happen.

Them coming in the office and finding one driver false like you are talking about the company could be shut down and you are out of a job that day!

Or
    If you are in an accident then you could be held responsible and spend time in prison due to them false logs. Terrible reason to be in jail.

4. Lugnut1968

Lugnut1968 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Newnan Ga
    Very true but then again I ain't never really heard of a good reason to be in jail :biggrin_2559:.

Thanks for the heads up on it though. With all the different computers and such I imagine it would be really easy to get caught so I reckon this go around I'm gonna log it legal and legit.

5. tuckerndfw

tuckerndfw Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    For most drivers, unless you cannot help but do otherwise, NOTHING requires more than 15 minutes on Line 4 and very few things should be logged on Line 4.

If your company specifically watches your Line 4 time like a hawk, then you have to act accordingly.

Line 4 is totally wasted and unless you are paid by the hour, using it only costs you money.

Just a word to the wise (if you intend to make money and keep your company - dispatcher happy).

And, NEVER admit to anyone that you were just sitting in the cab doing anything. You are either in the sleeper or you are off duty. Cab time is either Line 3 or 4 and unless you are forced to log it as such, don't do it.

Log book history:

Log books were NOT created for anything related to safety.

Log books were invented so trucks could not compete with railroads. Railroads owned politicians who passed laws requiring trucks to limit their operations.

Unions also supported strict log book rules. It's good for their membership since limiting workers' hours = more workers to do the same job.

But, log books have zero to do with "safety," so if you intend to make a career out of the trucking business, do yourself a favor and do not attempt to tell old drivers how you are much "safer" than someone else based on how well you fill out a funny book.

You'll just be laughed at. . .

(hehehehehe. . )

6. tuckerndfw

tuckerndfw Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I forgot to include anotber primary reason log books were invented: to give states an excuse to increase their revenue by gouging truckers.

The majority of DOT departments (& inspectors) are more concerned with collecting taxes than ensuring safety. They are the same kind of people as those who run speed traps.

The bottom line is log books are totally unrelated to safety, their only purpose is to make someone richer, and that someone is NOT the driver.

7. raindancer

raindancer Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    memphis,mo
    Logs first let me say I have a lot of respect for the job you all do. It's hard to keep up with all the differant interpitations. Now my queation. We are O/O with no gov. on our truck. We log it as we run it. Now the company we're leased to says we have to log five under in states like IL., Ohio etc but when we run Texas and other states they don't care what we run but can not log over 62 mph. Isn't that telling you to falsify logs?

8. Otter

Otter Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Milton, VT.
    Until August, when I changed jobs, I always logged off duty for my break, unless I was splitting my off duty time, I never used line 2. I only used line 4 for accident, dot inspection or 15 minute post trip. Pretrip was written in as Pretrip, but I went from line 1 to line 3. I wasn't paid to fuel the truck, so I showed it as off duty, (Prove I fueled the truck, and didn't use full serve.)
    The written vehicle inspection report must be done at the end of the work day, (392.11) Pretrip need not be in writing.
    The company I'm with now requires line 4 for fueling, or any activity where I'm spending company money and getting a receipt. (Scale, paying lumpers with a Comchek, ect.) They also require that I show line 2 when I'm in the bunk instead of line 1, which I got away with for over 25 years.
    I rarely show a change of duty status for drop & hook. I'm not out of the truck more than 5 minutes at a time, I drop and return to the truck, I hook and return to the truck. I always show enough time to get from point A to point B and on to point C, without showing point B.
    I run everything point to point on PC Miler, then log it that way, the more points you show, the more they have to match. I'll drive 9.75 hours driving and .25 hour posttrip for a 10 hour day, without a break. Now the company wants me to show my off duty time as split between lines 1 and 2.

9. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    In my opinion YES! Have I told you to do this in the past and not realize it? YES! A driver should be allowed to go the state speed limit if the truck "allows" it. If I tell a driver your truck goes 70 miles an hour but log 65 then I am telling you to falsify your logs.
    Now what I might tell you is it's kind of imposible (legally) to average 70 miles an hour for 4 hours as the speed limit due to traffic etc is going to fluxuate (sp?) however if you drove 70 miles an hour and there was no traffic issues, what am I to say you was in the wrong and why would I tell you to log 5 miles under show you are showing illegal on your logs?

Log auditors need to get that clear and should of by now:biggrin_25511:
    I will be glad to assist any of them in the correct way of teaching & wording to do it the right way. I am tired & SICK & TIRED of being the only one (so it seems) to lead you all in the right direction to make money and log it legal :biggrin_25518:

10. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    All I can say is I hope you don't cost the company a DOT audit and get them "shut down" or I hope you don't run across the officer that nails you for the money he can "legally" get you for!

Most everything you do that involves "work" but not driving will take a minimum of 15 minutes and yes many times we have common knowledge or proof it took you 15 minutes at least if not longer.

SO all I can say is be carefull and don't count your chickens before they hatch. The hefty fine drivers are getting lately are not pleasant:biggrin_25512:

11. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...

You're like my cousin, she's a dispatcher and knows the job forwards, backwards, in her sleep. Unappreciated but she still plugs away:yes2557:

Have you considered putting your knowledge in a book????
    I'm telling you that something like that is possible and imagine this book published and sold at truck stops and chrome shops. :biggrin_255:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.