How to make money in trucking....????

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by jrsytrucker, Mar 24, 2013.

1. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    I will vouch for Hurst as his new job is a cake walk compared to working for Anthony. Folks you gotta give it to him for sticking it out as long as he did. Who has their own employees arrested claiming they are driving stolen equipment??? Anthony did. Hurst documented all of this on here.

KH

truckon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Taxminia0311

Taxminia0311 Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2013
    I totally agree with landstar, my sister and her husband live in Florida and both him and my nephew weren't able to find job as truckers they had to go OTR

4. exwallybulldawg

exwallybulldawg Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Commerce,Ga
    get out of trucking to make money

5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I think you "get out of trucking" what you "put into trucking". If you think like a business man, like how to lower your costs in relation to your revenues (think mpg), then trucking is profitable. As an O/O if you improve your mpg by 1 mpg, you can make from $850 to $2400 more per month. Learn how to drive efficiently and stick to the plan. Don't get caught up with competitive driving to see who can pull the hills at 75 mph, that's always going to be a losing battle when it comes to your settlement checks.

Then again, if one isn't capable of learning how to drive efficiently, then by all means get out of trucking to make money.

6. Chaos268

Chaos268 Light Load Member

May 20, 2013
    I was watching this thread and thinking about what it would be like to have a wife and children and living in a truck for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. I believe, if it was me, I would simply find another line of work. Why bother? I mean, if a man wants to be simply a paycheck, just don't bother with marriage, get one of those families in a third world country and send your paycheck to them, you won't even have to knock off for a funeral if one of them dies, of course, you probably wouldn't be allowed to anyway, if you could get out of the truck long enough you couldn't afford money for the bus ticket anyway. What is up with that thinking?

7. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Two issues with your comment.

At 10,000 miles per month, it's $1000 savings to gain 1 MPG.

I got my tuck running better and can pull the hills so much better, both faster and less work on the engine. it saves me almost two hours to drive across Montana one way. That's huge. Not only in fuel, but drive time spent on the road.

8. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Its not just trucking , this is no longer the Land of Milk and Money. There are more than truckers trying to scrap out a living , plenty of factory workers , office workers doing the same.

Problem is that today everyone sees what a few like the KARTRASHIONS live like and want that life style , but fail to see many who had it all are losing it as well , mansions , planes , boats all being repo'd.

I know people in Arizona that drive 2 1/2 hours each way to a job that pays 1/3rd of what they made in the past and a 10 minute drive just to tyry and survive.

MNdriver Thanks this.
  9. Epmtrucks

Epmtrucks Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2013
    You can get across MT faster but the bottom line is you end up with less money in you pocket. Im in it for revenue, not speed, and speed will never win out over MPG and revenue in the OTR business.

10. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    you have several pulls across Montana. If you can take 15-20 minutes off each of those pulls because your truck is more capable to get up and over those hills with less work, you will do more for saving fuel than running 70 mph and trying to make up that time.

No one said anything about running 70-75 across Montana. And time spent climbing an hill is just as important.

11. Chaos268

Chaos268 Light Load Member

May 20, 2013
    Even if it were the same amount of money, why would anyone want to stay in the truck around the clock?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.