How to NOT get bored of driving?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I have been driving for nearly two years in the last 3 years.

Every few months 3-5 months I really start getting bored with driving. It's not even the lifestyle that I'm sick of, just the driving portion. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE driving. After my resets I thoroughly enjoy that first day returning to driving. Followed by a sharp drop off in interest.

After a few weeks of not driving I'm good again for another 3-5 months. Anyone have a similar issue with driving? Anytime my company sends me for a 3000 mile week I dread those long running the clock to near max 10.5 hours drive time per day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blue Zombie Trucker

Blue Zombie Trucker Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2017
    It takes me longer to get to that point, but yeah, I hear ya. I listen to a LOT of audiobooks, podcasts, sometimes some music. For me, the change of seasons helps a lot, and also, this is exactly why I run OTR... I find the variety helps me stay interested longer.

4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I often wonder how warehouse workers don't get bored with their jobs. :D

5. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    I have been installing cabinets for nearly 26 years in the last 30 years.

Every few months 3-5 months I really start getting bored with carpentry. It's not even the lifestyle that I'm sick of, just the air nailing portion. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE carpentry. After my weekends of binge drinking I thoroughly enjoy that first day returning to cutting miters. Followed by a sharp drop off in interest.

After a few weeks of not swinging a hammer, I'm good again for another 3-5 months. Anyone have a similar issue with working? Anytime I send myself on a 30 cabinet week I dread those long running the clock to near max 7 hours leveling time per day.

6. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
  7. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    Well sometimes I work zero times a week.:D

Note: not good if you're self-employed.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Maybe u need more excitment with what u haul. Id get bored to when the only time ur outside the truck doing work is closing the doors. I dont want to just drive , i enjoy the work part of flatbedding even know sometimes it royally sucks

9. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    I run a lot of2 lane s, lots of scenic, old iron, tractors, trucks cars. Watch out for the farm equipment, and buggy s.

10. Blue Zombie Trucker

Blue Zombie Trucker Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2017
    I'm getting out of flats just because I got tired of being filthy all the time, and I'm an old man (58), so I figured, why push my luck. Got really sick of tarps, too. I was tarping probably 80% of my loads, just a guess.

More ironic irrelevance: My very last FB load was also out of Antioch, but GP sheetrock... and I darned near got blown off the top of the load. First time for that, too. I figured the writing was on the wall for me, although I KNOW I'm going to miss flabedding. A lot, at times.

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Yep i can definatly relate to that . Always dirty doing flatbedding . Tarping is not fun sometimes especially weird angled loads with sharp edges that take longer to pad and protect than to actually tarp. I had my first fall off the deck earlier this year , no idea how i didnt break anything or bust my head open on the headache rack . Got lucky, but was shortly followed by my 2nd fall off the deck only a couple months later . Only out of getting in a rush and not thinking things thru....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.