How to NOT get bored of driving?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    I saw your new thread. good luck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    You could be right, reefer is just long driving hours followed by long hours at recievers. Maybe something like flatbed to spice up the work environment a bit. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Yes doesnt have to be flatbed but can be tankers too, or dump work, or hauling equipment , cement mixer, propane , etc anything to get u outside the truck and using ur brain im sure will help

5. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    I truly never get bored of it. Nothing in this business gets me bored. I love the trucks, I love trucking, I love doing what I want. I do get aggravated at times though and pissed I didn’t make better financial decisions in my late teens and 20s. And will never be rich from trucking, I cherry pick good loads, wash my truck way to often, take pictures of it, talk to the few same friends about trucks and trucking. I mainly do what I want, when I want, how I want, so that helps also. Spend a lot of time with my family, I take the kids with me. Keeps things interesting and fun. On the other hand I couldn’t imagine being a company driver again, doing the same thing over and over again, being told where to go and when. I would get bored for sure.

6. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    Go into pulling a tanker, regional not OTR. You'll get exercise loading, run anywhere from 1-5 hours, get out and unload, then run back empty. Different places every day, different challenges, roads vary from dirt/mud to county blacktops to the interstates. Generally not much waiting to load or unload, none of the reefer b.s.. Customers always happy to see you pull in.

7. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Might sound simple. But if you don't love driving or the road before. You won't love it after.

I feel at home in my car. Just driving and exploring. So for me. When I finish school I will be at home. Just a bit nervous due to the size.

8. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I second @LoboSolo's tanker suggestion. If nothing else the surge in a smooth bore will keep you on your tiptoes. And paperwork for hazmat loads is a lot more detailed which keeps brain active enough.

9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I loved driving my car , but driving a truck i found is way different. Because u have a timeline to work off of. Also is alot more stressfull and frustrating especially when u get lost.. I still enjoy driving or i wouldnt be out here but sometimes i just dont wanna deal with the stresses and frustration that come with driving an 80k pound truck strapped to ur back

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Wake and bake on the way to work, lit one up at break, another at lunch, and one final break before quitting time after only 8 hours and then a other toke for the drive home...

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Saw an ad a few months ago for driving a fuel truck and fueling aircraft.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.