How to not get so angry at other people?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Neptune1231, Dec 4, 2020.

1. tallguy66

tallguy66 Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Well at least it wasn’t behind the wheel of a cmv! I’m sure we’ve all been there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I use to go to the gym Plant Fitness before this virus but anyway, if you do some running or some sort of excersize that gets your Hart pumping it is nearly impossible to be mad at someone. Not always the practical thing at the moment if your fighting with traffic, kids, wife or broker's but it works. If your out of breath, your not nearly as mad as before, your might even laugh at it

truckguy391 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    Most stuff don’t bother me. Tailgating does. I generally start slowing down, eventually they get frustrated or bored or whatever and they go around. It’s been several years ago now, I had one right on my tail and I couldn’t shake him. I looked in the mirror, no one was overtaking us for a long ways, I got in the left lane, slowed down and got behind him.
    I don’t like running with the pack. If I come up on a cluster coitus I cut my speed by 1 or 2 mph, generally it doesn’t take long and they’re off and gone, and no longer an issue.

5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    or to the quick mart for cigarettes and an energy drink....

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    I usually take a passive aggressive approach to tailgating.

I don’t break check, I’ll just lay off the accelerator and drive 5mph slower. Then if that doesn’t get them to pass me, I’ll slow down another 5mph and keep repeating until they eventually go around me.

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    ^^^^^^^^^Meditation.

Someone is purposely trying to piss you off. If they succeed, they have gained control over you. I use to be quick tempered but I realized that’s the evidence of a weak mind. So, I would reflect upon the situation and identify where I lost control. When you do this, you will be able to recognize the next time as it begins. “Whoa, Six...that person is trying to get under your skin. Don’t allow them to gain control. You are a beyoitch if you are so easily controlled.”

I think the word thrown around today for people who are easily controlled is TRIGGERED. Quite shameful.

8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Had a JB hunt driver throw a piss bottle at my truck a few years ago, I ended up going for a ride after that one....

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I had some dink tailgate me the other night, highbeams on right in the mirrors. After about 5 minutes I slow down. They pass. They've got backup lights on too. Okay #### you too buddy. On comes the high beams and light bars.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    For me its not so much getting the blood flowing. Its more about distraction. Weight goes up, weight goes down. Up, down, up, down. When its heavy, I need to focus all my attention on grip and form. There's no space in my mind for anything else. I hear no music and I see no one else around me. Its all about me and getting that weight moved.

black_dog106 and TripleSix Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.