How to prevent ice from forming on cascadia windshield wipers?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by dextrdog, Nov 9, 2018.

1. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Someone used to make a windshield washer fluid heater. They used to advertise in LandLine and Overdrive magazines. Haven't seen it in awhile, though.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Someone makes a kit for heated wiper blades. Don't remember who. Wonder if the ops heater door is putting "all" or most of the hot air onto windshield when on defrost? All heater systems are not created equal, thats what i have hear from freightliner drivers. Never had experience with them. Every IH and pete seem to work well in the one i drove.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    In wet snow and especially if the wind is so so, it’s just going to be a problem. I’ve considered the wd-40 on wiper arm but not tried it. Heat on the windshield does not help. The [wet] snow accumulates on the arm itself then will no longer conform to windshield curvature.

I will use a simple ice scraper and hold out and let the blade “run over” or strike this to keep massive accumulations in check when it gets real bad.
    D0C6DD9C-285F-4A0F-A429-FAD03111A6EE.jpeg

tscottme and skellr Thank this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The defroster will melt the ice off if you are going slow enough. If it starts getting really bad where you can't see and there is nowhere to pull off, slow down to 45 for a bit.
    That's a good idea. I used to reach out and grab the blade and flick it to knock the ice off, used to. One time I flicked it and the blade came off... :tard:

al_huryn, Oxbow, stillwurkin and 6 others Thank this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You can heat the windshield to 150 degrees but that heat is not going to transfer enough out past the blades, to the metal arm/blade structure itself where the snow is sticking and freezing to. Snow on the rubber blade itself is rarely the problem in wet snow conditions.

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    It will if you slow down, try it sometime.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    No thanks. If the going is good (wet or slushy), I’m going as fast as is prudent.

9. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Antifreeze windshield washer fluid. Good to -20f°.

10. TIMPTE 527

TIMPTE 527 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    I carry DE-ICER. Pull over spray all iced up areas. Lasts quite a while before you have to pull over again. 10 times longer than simply pulling over and slapping the wipers.

Pumpkin Oval Head Thanks this.
  11. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    That's what I do, roll down window wait for wiper to come up, slip fingers under it and flip it.. Been doing it for years. Never lost one but if I do I guess it was time for a new one.

stillwurkin, Numb and skellr Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.