How to ship a car…….

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by nikmirbre, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I hauled an LTL car and did it that way. Also hauled two ambulances for the Army and they used a tow truck also. If you have a valve you can drop your trailer suspension too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    yeah, i thought about ship, but, I actually want to receive my car and I feel like going the Uship route is kinda cheating…...

SHO-TYME and Hammer166 Thank this.
  4. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Almost all towns have what is called a Town Dock and is free for anyone to use. A local Taylor rental or any rental place would let you use their ramp too.

damutt Thanks this.
  5. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Town dock?? Sounds like a joke LOL….but i don't think we have taylor rentals here in NC……Maybe they have something like that up in NY/NJ where I'm picking it up at(spring valley NY) off of 287

6. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Lol....No, it's for real. Way back all towns had a dock to unload. Many still have them. I've unloaded in some unusual places where it looked like the property was abandoned but that was their town dock. And NC has tons and tons of rental places. Taylor was just an example. Any rental place that rents scissor lifts has a dock. Shoot, just about everyplace has a dock. Just drive down the freaking street and pick one and go in and ask.

7. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    yeah sunbelt and places that ship equipment have docks that I've picked up some equipment before……ok ok were getting somewhere here….

Skate-Board Thanks this.
  8. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    If the car is already junk, by all means that is a great idea. Besides, he has brokers sending stuff quotes, which is mostly what Uship is. Carriers really do not have time to quote one vehicle & wait. Then try to find other stuff to go with it.

*Too note* Some Auto Transport brokers have it in their fine print that if they quoted something, they can post it up to Central Dispatch. When a carrier calls the brokerage, the broker will then call & pester you about what you agreed to with them. They have a nice spin on what you may have thought was a quote, but in their mind it was an order.

The rollback idea is good if you have freight going to or from where ever you purchased the car at.

9. mcnabbtransport

mcnabbtransport Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    You could probably get the local guy to load it up for $50 maybe less depending on pia surcharge.

10. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

I got lucky when I wanted to ld. up my Dad's car on the lowboy.
    The place I was parking at had carhaulers there as well.I was talking to one about getting some T hooks from him if I could. Well that fell through, but he used his trl. and backed up to my lowboy and we transfered the car easy.
    Then lucked out at the other end and found another car hauler who helped me offload..

11. Dorsey

Dorsey Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Florida
    Quotes between $550-$900. About in the middle of them quotes would be fair. Of course you want to spend the least possible but you know how that goes with being in the transportation business. Your options are either get the car yourself or hire a broker. Maybe someone on here can recommend a good honest broker.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.