How to stand out from the crowd as a driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tinytim, Apr 22, 2018.

1. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I remember my driving instructor telling us "The good driver is rarely noticed"

If you stand out among the crowd of traffic it's probably not due to your good driving habits.

To avoid being 'noticed' I try to follow a simple rule, don't put anyone in a position where they have to do anything sudden.

A couple examples

-on a 2 lane road don't attempt a pass if you're not sure you'll be able to complete it without help.

-don't pull onto the highway if you'll cause traffic to have to react, especially on a road with very little traffic. Waiting a few more seconds until there is nobody coming is worth the wait.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    My philosophy to stand out from the crowd is

1. Do pretrips.
    2. Know how to get where your going without several GPS.
    3. Don’t park on a fuel island.
    4.Let slightly faster trucks pass you, especially FedEx (one truck in a ditch is enough)
    5. Be on time and professional.

Do those and have an advantage over 90% of today’s drivers.

4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Make sure you have a Pit Bull in your truck.

aussiejosh and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  5. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Your driving instructor was right.

Who brings the most attention: The guys passing on the right at 80 mph, theguys pulling out into traffic because they can't wait for a clear shot, the guys passing on a two lane so they can be in front of you and behind the 20 4 wheelers also in front of you.

Those are the memorable duck heads.

Friday on 95 somewhere in SC I took the fast clear fast lane to let traffic merge in then put on my blinker to go back to the slow lane and here came local -in a hurry- bulk driver on my right, trying to pass. Couldn't wait for me to get over.

I was empty and my truck is not governed. I could have sped up and blocked him but I'm not a duck head.

I let him do his stupid maneuvering and fell back to the slow lane.

Don't be a duck.

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Hmm, well. I do notice the good drivers because they can adjust to the flow and move through it without making waves. You wouldn't notice them unless you were looking for them. They can sit back and watch the show and move on through when the dust settles without getting in anyone's way because they are thinking about everyone.

But it is also good to be seen. People that draft up behind people and pop out for the pass at the last minute can't really bee seen. I think there are two different aspects getting muddld into one.

TripleSix and tinytim Thank this.
  7. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Take a shower and be well groomed ..don't dress like a bag lady .

8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Don't wreck anything, don't break anything, be on time, don't be a whiner, and try not to look like a wino.

9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yep the really good professional driver just goes out there and gets the job done safely, and efficiently, you won't hear much from him / her, they will appreciate any advice their given, and learn from their mistakes and quietly go about there day you won't hear them bragging on the CB or talking loudly at the Flying J lounge room they just have their shower, enjoy a good steak and a good sleep and their off again early the next day.

Wingnut1, REO6205, TripleSix and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    ... It's the quiet professionals that are the ones to watch.

11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Exactly right. A good driver doesn't have to make a lot of noise. His work says everything you need to know about him.

tinytim Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.