How to straight back a tractor trailer and how to straighten out ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kevin_L, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Kevin_L

Kevin_L Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2014
    So when Straight backing what do I need to do ? Lets say I'm backing up and looking inside the mirror on my right and notice my right side is too close to the yellow line .(Does this mean my trailors going left?Cause thats what my trainer was telling me and it just confused me .)

Anyhow so I turn the wheel to the right since the trailor will go the opposite way I turn ,I then watch in the right mirror for it to move away?(I think this is where I was messing up ,I think I want to look in the left mirror for the end to move slightly to the left then contersteer to the left so it all straightens out )

When I'm going forward to straighten out the trailor and its to far to the right so I go left how do I make sure I don't overcorrect it ?

Also I can't get it in gear sometimes and the trainer won't tell me what do to ,I push in the clutch and then move the stick left and up for reverse but it wouldn't go into gear...

What gear should I start the truck in and do I do that after turning on the power or before ?What about before or after releasing Parking brakes ? Once again trainer won't help me so I'm so lost .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    When backing a semi the trailer is going the opposite direction that your tractor is going. Don't over steer and take your time. Do not back blind. That's when you'll get into trouble. Tell your instructor to teach you because that's why you paid all that money for.

When you stop to change gears make sure your truck is not moving and push the clutch all the way to the floor. That should engage the clutch brake to allow you to shift into a gear. If it grinds then someone has push the clutch in too far while driving and blew the clutch brake out.

4. gldtigerwolf

gldtigerwolf Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2014
    as far as backing up if your end is going one way turn wheel the other way. find a truckstop that's big and empty and learn to back up their, keep doing this don't need trailers around you if they have lines, also find a road that you can learn to back up on and go backwards on it, one that dead ends is a good one back down it. In the gears some trucks you have to give it a little gas to put it in, also make sure you are double clutching when you need to. and learn how to blind back is a must, get out as many times as you need to, to make sure its where its going. you will come across someday a place you have to do this. Most drivers can't do this and are not real pros. I deliver all over the equipment that went inside subway restaurants and it was fun doing it, got to go places and put in a 53' trailer where it was very tight and hard but was a challenge to do. went on to other jobs. hope this helps out. Tell your trainer he should be a shame of himself for not training and their are trainers out their that do care but most are not trainers.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  5. TwinStickPeterbilt

TwinStickPeterbilt Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Steer towards the way the trailers going to straighten out.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  6. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Just to clarify you say your trainer wont help. .. so, I am taking that to mean you have already been through school and have passed the DMV test and have your CDL already... unless you are in school and you mean instructor instead of trainer...

When I straight line back I use both my mirrors.. I am constantly checking both my left and right mirrors..

It is also important when straight line backing, assuming you are starting out straight, that you make small corrections... over turning the wheel makes it more difficult. .. so I am only nudging my wheel to either direction to correct, remembering that there is a delay from when I turn the wheel and when I see my trailor react...

Now, first and foremost is alway to relax, breath and be calm... you do not want to let yourself get all worked up as that is when we make more mistakes. ..

Now, right now, it is frustrating and seem very difficult. .. but, so was tying your shoe laces at one time and you mastered that... you can and will get this too... but you must allow yourself to learn... so, again keep calm....

CosmicBlue, virginwidow and Sik_Life Thank this.
  7. Kevin_L

Jul 5, 2014
    I'm still in school ,we get like 30-60 min behind the wheel time a day so alot of it is trying to plan what I'm gonna do beforehand but it sucks when most of it is trying to figure out why It won't go in gear(never used manual before) and getting no help from the staff.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Remember you're backing the trailer,keep an eye on the back of the trailer or the back trailer tires ,it does'nt take much for it to veer left or right.If its veering left turn the top of the steering wheel left but like someone said,make very little movements with the steering wheel.Otherwise is you over steer and not catch it in time,you could find yourself in a jack knife situation.Main thing is catch the trailer before it veers too much off course.If you're trainer is not helping you then you better request another trainer.All these things you're having trouble with is very vital to being a trk driver.Alot of great advice comes from the forum but you do need training to know these things not just words.

9. Kevin_L

Jul 5, 2014

Thanks ,what about starting the truck ?What gear should it be in and when should I have it in that gear?

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Since you're new I would start it in first.But with heavy loads you shouldn't be any higher then 1st or second when taking off.If you're backing then have the trk is low gear for reverse.There's low and high,you don't wanna back it in high gear the trk will take off without you,lol.

11. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Here is what works for me... as stated earlier, be sure you are at a complete stop, push the clutch all the way to the floor, now move the stick into gear.. if it doesnt go in... just easy up on the clutch while gently pushing the stick into gear... sometimes you just have to let the clutch up off the floor a tiny bit for the stick to go into gear when you are at a dead stop....

Dont know why your instructor is not being more helpful to you. .. but, you can still get through this... many good drivers here to help...

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.