How to straight back a tractor trailer and how to straighten out ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kevin_L, Oct 6, 2014.

1. #1 Kenworth

#1 Kenworth Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New England
    I was waiting to see how many posts were going to be posted before someone spoke about holding the BOTTOM of the steering wheel. So much easier for any type of backing up with a trailer. You would think they would teach it in the schools!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FuzzFace2

FuzzFace2 Medium Load Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Angier, N.C.
    Only yesterday school went over this in class. Mark the wheel at 9-12-3, hold the wheel at the 12 pos. When straight backing do not turn the wheel past the 9 or 3 pos.
    Check both mirrors and when you see more trailer in 1 and less in the other you need to take action. The sooner you notice this the better off you will be and not going past the 9 or 3 you should not over correct.

Now even if my stat says I am in school I have had my Class B for many years from when I drove dump trucks & equipment trailers and way before that different size car & camp trailers so I don't think I will have issues when I get out to the field next week.
    BTW I point the rear of the steer tires in the direction I want the trailer to go so all this hold the wheel top/bottom and turn this/that way is messing with my head :biggrin_25523:

As for getting into gear if to the floor does not work then as said let the clutch up a little with pressure on the stick and it should slip into gear. If you start to fell each tooth push the clutch back to the floor with pressure on the stick. Most of the schools trucks are beat to he11 so you have to finesse things to work as they should. As I tell other students I have been helping if they can get it right on the school trucks then if/when they get a better truck they will be like a pro.

As others have said look into another trainer because the next one may just click with you and everything will fall into place.
    Good luck
    Dave ----

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    That depends on the person.For some holding the bottom of the steering wheel works for others the top is more effective.Backing comes with practice.Problem with new ppl which is normal is they overthink it and sweat the small stuff.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The easy way to straight line back and you almost do nothing. You get in truck put you hand at 12 on steering wheel. Then as you are backing turn the steering wheel from 9 o'clock position to 3 o'clock. The trick is just keep moving the steering wheel back and forth non stop the same speed. If you do that the trailer will go straight and you don't have to do anything. The tractor will be going laft and right the whole time but the trailer will go straight as an arrow.

6. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Safe Start - brakes on, clutch in, tranny in neutral. Pay attention to to Gashauler's comment - not moving, clutch pedal pressed firmly to floor. If still grinding, move the shift lever and bump a couple of gears without engaging to slow the gear rotation - your clutch brake is worn or blown away. Push hard on that pedal, these Eaton Fuller trannies aren't like an inline 6-speed. No synchros, big squarecut gears, heavy mass rotation. Be patient, you'll figure it out in a short time.

7. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    Something I learned when I got my first boat trailer years ago-put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. Kinda backward from the usual advice but it works for me.

8. southtruck

southtruck Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Flaw dah
    Steer into the driftfor straight backing or steer into the correction for angled backing. PS I still over correct! LOL What happens a lot is you over correct and dont straighten out in time. You have to correct FAST. If you are far away from your target you can always retry to steer into the drift/correction. If not you have to pull up. Hug your sight points and correct your steer sooner than you think you do. This will depend on where your tandems lie and how long your trailer is. believe me. I struggled a long time with this and I still over steer the drift and under correct it. You got to correct the correction QUICKLY. Spin that steering wheel back like your life depended on it. Back slowly as molasses and you will begin to see what i am talking about. also if you need to pivot past a pole or trailer to drop into a dock your tandems are the pivot point. Not the end of the trailer. get those tandems tight to your mark then pivot in by turning into the drift/angle.

I used to stop and say to myself. "I must turn left to back right and right to back left I need the trailer to go X so I turn the wheel Y. " Now It just flows and I do not have to say that anymore.

Other things I used to stop and say to myself.
    "turn Into the drift"
    Correct fast. Back slow
    If you are not sure (especially when backing and your rig is bent) Get Out and LOOK. (GOAL) Even if it means getting out 10 times and doing 8 Pull ups. Eventually you will see it.

Most people, Over steer and under correct. Do the opposite

Otheres under steer and over correct (turn the wheels past straight. ) This is what i do) Dont do either. Eventually you will get enough visual refereneces in your head you will " see" it and go AHA!

As far as getting it into gear let the clutch out a tiny bit. It should pop in gear with light pressure

I start in neutral. Some trucks you must push the clutch in or it won't start at all. Mine doesn't

Do not push in the brakes until you are ready to move. when you stop moving you engage them before you shut down

The gear you start out in will vary depending on your load, Grade of your starting point, whether your wheels are straight and the torque of your engine.

I got a pretty big truck so I usually start off in fourth unless I am heavy, Then I can get it going in third. Sometimes in a pit dock I have to start off in 3rd or second to pop out of the hole without bouncing the truck. If the truck starts to jump Clutch brake quickly pop out of gear and try lower gear. Onlyy once have I used graNNYY gear. I had a full load in a pit with my wheels turned.

The lower gears I called the get going gears. The upper ones I call the get Gone gears. LOL When I first learned shifting I ignored the granny gear and called 2nd gear first and treated like a five speed I used to have. I was old school taught to Float gears so I don't know how to double clutch. I do use the clutch to pop out quickly to downshift and skip down. They probably won't teach you how to do that. My trainer had been driving for 35 years so he's old school.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  9. TeAire

TeAire Bobtail Member

May 8, 2017
    Do you need to use the clutch during straight back maneuver? If you have to s press the service brake to stop must you engage the clutch to continue backing out?

10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned because I haven't read the entire thread.

Put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Now, push your hand in the direction you want the back end of the trailer to go. Right for right and left for left.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  11. shanecruz01

shanecruz01 Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2019
    I'm having similar problems with my trainers. There's alot that they're not telling me and one even said I'm sorry if I can't train you. They're getting paid to teach. I've asked what areas do I need to watch on a 45 foot flatbed trailer and all they say is right 1/4 turn, left 1/4 turn and back to center. Please can anyone help me?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.