How to survive being a newbie

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by djbattle, Sep 2, 2018.

1. djbattle

djbattle Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2014
    If you are a newbie and have good credit with access to 20,000$,Don't ever work for someone,These companies are con artist,you will get paid 32 cpm,then after a year you might make 42cpm If anyone tells you different they are probably an ignorant company driver or a recruiter,IAm starting to believe this site is compromised due to the horrible advice and the amount of sponsorship from the worst companies,if you have no other choice but to be a company driver then do it ,but understand that everything you are told is a lie As soon as you get 6 months experience leave ,spend your nights and days talking to other drivers that dont have a big cooperate name on the side of their truck,scour the web looking for your next job i think 50-60cpm is achievable, ask to see other drivers settlements and their turn over rate when talking to recruiter.when you see the ad offering a big bonus or looking for safe drivers don't waste your time,save every penny possible ,fix your credit ,after you have achieved 20k apply for your own authority like $180 ?I found the best deals on trucks at international remarketing in Conley ga, I got a 2015 (aug2017)prostar for $ 54,000 215,000 miles under warranty until march2019 I can add another year for $4600 new brakes tires,genpack,fridge,mattress,$1200 per month 48 months,so you need 5000 for insurance
    1500 tags and ifta
    5400 down payment
    1500 travel and fuel to get truck
    That leaves 6500 for fuel and misc and trailer lease
    It would help a lot to get a fuel card or
    cc,you will make $1.50 to $2.00 per mile after overhead .your goal should be to average $3.00 per driven mile dry van,Right now the economy is so good $4.00 is possible

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Report back on how things are going for you when the economy tanks and after your engine blows between Vegas and Barstow, and a broker doesn’t pay

Don’t spend that money. That Prostar will want a good chunk sooner or later.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  4. djbattle

Jun 27, 2014
    My engine is under warranty, I will trade it in when the warranty is gone.i can afford to sit at home while its being repaired. If and when it tanks I will do something else .when you drive for yourself you don't live month to month .theses schools and big companies have done a good job convincing people that their crumbs are better

5. djbattle

Jun 27, 2014
    9 years 3 trucks later

CJ701 and Puppage Thank this.
  6. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    So, you’re saying I should just stay at McDonalds?

7. djbattle

Jun 27, 2014
    I wouldn't own any of these newer trucks with out a waranty,that is the fastest way to fail,since the n13 has went to def it might be one of the best out there but only time will tell
    I have blown a tire out there on I think 93 ,made it to the only tire shop and paid 1000 for a chinese tire,But honestly anywhere we have a lot of illegal immigration freight rates are awful,i do regional dryage right now home almost every day off weekends my net is 10-14 per month leased on. but im turning my authority back on to run load boards ohio paying $4.40 cpm to va and $ 2 to 3 dpm back. better to stay regional

BigDog Trucker Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    New driver with good credit and access to 20 U's.

You just disqualified 99.99% of all new drivers.

9. djbattle

Jun 27, 2014
    If you make 900 for 70 hours of work per week ,give the government 200 and spend 210 dollars on food,walmart night stocking might be better at least you won't be all alone in a 60 inch prison cell

BigDog Trucker, hagarcobra and Puppage Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    210 dollars on food? For how long?

I can do well enough on 50 or less for a period of time. I can even come down to about 15 dollars for a week if I had to. (it's not fun, but you will get by)

20K in credit line is not a asset. It is a potential damage. Payments would be 600 a month at 8% God help you if you are 15, 20, 25 or 35%...

A company driver has no problems versus a O/O.

The main reason a Company driver fails is because he or she does not build savings with every load against a week in which there is famine rather than a feast.

The Cass Index for Freighting in the USA shows a average of between 1.90 to 2.40 for van per mile depending on region. and that data is a few years old.

Trucking is way better than some slop minimum wage job (Here in Arkansas it's 8.25 and the Midterms ballot shows a increase to 11.00 by 2020 if voted through, which I will be voting for. At least at 11.00 I can break even when I burn the gasoline to get to work for 4 hours a day part time and back. If I turn that into a 8 hour day then it's profitable to me after taxes.)

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

"Don't waste money buying lunch, put $20k down and buy the restaurant."

SavageMuffin, Tb0n3, CJ701 and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.