HOW TO SWITCH MISSISSIPPI CDL TO INDIANA W/O HAVING A RESIDENCE

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by boskiiiiiiiiii, Apr 27, 2019.

1. boskiiiiiiiiii

boskiiiiiiiiii Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Hello all this is my first post.
    SITUATION- I am from Chicago Illinois originally. i joined the military in 2013 and just got out in October 2018. i drove trucks in the us navy while stationed in gulf-port Mississippi and i obtained my class a Mississippi cdl. i am planning on moving back to chicago illinois temporarily with a relative to live again and then to northwest indiana to live permanently . however, i see that Illinois makes cdl drivers take the road test all over again in order to transfer your CDL and i have no interest in doing that because its stupid and that George Ryan scandal made the state go overboard with the transfer requirements. So, i would like to transfer my CDL TO NORTHWEST INDIANA(GARY, HAMMOND, MERRIVILLE ETC) so that i can theoretically commute to Chicago and drive for a company. a lot of local driving jobs in chicago require you to live within like a 50 mile radius which is covered by gary Indiana, hammond and the northwest Indiana area.

PROBLEM: i will not have an actual Indiana address until i can save up enough money to get my own place. until that time comes i will be crashing with a relative in Chicago. does anyone have any suggestions on how i can switch my Mississippi class a cdl to Indiana (specifically northwest indiana) without me having an actual Indiana address yet. Indiana has residency requirements that i cant meet until i get an actual lease. any and all suggestions would be helpful. thanks!!

again, ILLINOIS makes cdl holders take the road test all over again and i am not wanting to go that route.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    to me, i'd not switch over to IL, i'd do the switch in Indiana when you finally settle there....

if you still have an Mississippi address, just keep using that as your residence, no one needs to know you are in IL temprarily, , except maybe for "vacation"..???

shogun and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Google "Rooms for Rent" in the various towns you mentioned.
    Here's one > Room to Rent in Hammond | Roommates in Hammond | Kangaroom
    Here in Nevada all you need is an affidavit from the person you're renting the room from and that shows you have a legal address. Don't know if this would work in Indiana though, so you can research that.

5. boskiiiiiiiiii

Apr 7, 2019
    @buddyd157 im confused? most of the local companies have a radius living requirement of 35-50 miles of chicago. so i dont think that can work if i am trying to get with one of the companies that requires that. u see what i am saying?

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I think I read somewhere that HMD Trucking is moving from Chicago to Gary because Illinois is killing them on taxes and regulations.

7. boskiiiiiiiiii

Apr 7, 2019
    @Chinatown that might work. i am going to look into that. this illinois transfer is a real headache man. taking the skills test all over is ridiculous.

8. boskiiiiiiiiii

Apr 7, 2019
    @Chinatown yea man. i earned my cdl and this state is making it impossible for people to want to come here to drive. the only reason i am moving back to the state is out of a family emergency. any other ideas on how i can get around this bs illinois requirement?

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wish you the best. People are fleeing Illinois in droves.
    Look for the cheapest junk room you can find just to get an address. You can still live with your relative and no one will know. Later when finances are better, upgrade to a nice apartment or whatever you want.
    Since you're a vet, www.usaa.com will help you with a home purchase, car purchase, insurance, etc. They helped me buy a home in Las Vegas when other banks, mortgage companies, etc. didn't want to deal with me because I'd been living overseas too long. USAA is a federal bank for veterans.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Can't think of another way; just the "room for rent" idea.

11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    just tell them you are living temporaily, and getting that new CDL soon...they won't bother you, just do not dwaddle in getting that new place.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.