How to tell if your shocks are bad

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by peekaboonotyou, Aug 9, 2019.

1. DmitriyKW

DmitriyKW Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Sacto, CA
    On my 07 T600 I replaced front shocks first time at 1.1mil miles, I always use Michelin tires they are the best for steers. I could easily do over 200k miles on them but I change them around 180k, don’t want to risk. Shock.... I bought a new 2018 REEFER, Great Dane and it has no shocks at all, what you say about that?

2. droy

droy Heavy Load Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Couple years back, while at the local parts house, having money to throw away, decided to replace the shocks on my truck. I asked for the gas shocks thinking they were the better shocks. Parts guy surprised me by saying the gas is simply a “pre installation thing” that one major manufacturer does, after the install gas serves no purpose.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  3. droy

droy Heavy Load Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Two things about your post DmitriyKW
    (1) Wish I could get 200k from my steers, my T800 averages 75-100k but like you, I do replace prematurely. Pull a tanker, lower 48, mostly dedicated loads meaning deliver then return empty. Maybe 10 loads in 12+ years over 80k, & only SLIGHTLY over. My aggressive hard driving probably accounts for short steer tire life.
    (2) As mentioned in a previous post, I think the air bag (shock) does a better job of dampening than the undersized (my opinion) shock absorbers. Maybe your new shock absorber-less Great Dane trailer makes my point. Hopefully it wasn’t a Friday afternoon trailer that slipped out before they were mounted. lol

4. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    My trucks take a beating, I never tried to over think things, just replace them every 2 years.
    Actually every truck gets a big service done every 2 years, all new fluids, shocks, and a serious look over for anything that might need replacement from bushings to suspension parts, cab and motor mounts, to hood and door hinges. Then every 4th year its even more indepth, basically a mini overhaul, from new batteries and rad hoses, to replacing all wear items, an alignment etc. Basically if you think a part should be replaced, why not just do it.

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    man we have some 800k+ mile trucks with the original shocks on them.

Swine hauler Thanks this.
  6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    They are also known as air springs too.

7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Just got done replacing all 6 on my 379. Had 4 yellow gas ones on the drives, only 1 was bad. I have a habit replacing the steers once a year, they take more of a beating. And I always noticed a difference when I replace the steers.

8. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    New kind off airbag designed to run without a "normal" shock.

9. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
  10. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    X2, If you want to buy them without explaining yourself, air spring would be the term.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.